Beginning this fall it will cut commercial time by 10% and the number of ads by 20% in primetime original shows across its various broadcast and cable networks.
NBCUniversal today said it will decrease the number of advertisements in commercial pods by 20% and decrease advertising time by 10% across its networks during its original primetime programming.
The company will also launch a new 60-second contextually-programmed Prime Pod in the first or last break of a show dedicated to up to two advertisers for stronger impact with viewers.
In making the announcement, Linda Yaccarino, chairman of advertising and client partnerships, NBCUniversal, said: “Sometimes, a little bit less means a whole lot more. The industry knows that television is already the most effective advertising medium there is, but we need to make the experience better for viewers.
“We promised some big swings last fall to move our industry forward and this is the first one. Now, NBCUniversal is advancing the TV experience as consumer behavior has evolved: lower ad loads, more innovation and more targeting. We’re reimagining the advertising experience for consumers, marketers, and the entire industry.”
NBCU said that over the past five years, the video viewing environment has become more cluttered with more than 400,000 advertisements added. Consumer behavior has shifted and as viewers have migrated to other platforms, advertising effectiveness has waned.
A video illustrating this initiative has been made available here.
This fall, NBCUniversal’s audiences will see “fewer, better ads that are more relevant than ever before,” the company said.
- NBCUniversal will reduce the number of ads across its networks by 20%, and total ad time by 10% in Prime Originals across the entire portfolio.
- The company is making reductions in more than 50 Primetime original shows across its entire portfolio.
- Research shows that innovative advertising products increase consumer engagement by more than 20%.
- NBCUniversal will also unveil a suite of new ad products including interactive picture in picture and social commercials and social first pods.
- Contextually targeted ads fuel greater consumer conversion and NBCUniversal will use a new artificial intelligence-based contextual content targeting product that combs through scripts and data sources to make every ad that much more contextually relevant to its audience.
More Relevant Ads:
- NBCUniversal will use its technology, tools, talent and creative capabilities to help clients’ advertisements resonate the most and deliver them in new ways.
- NBCUniversal has created a new 60 second “Prime Pod” of national ad time in the first or last break of a show.
- “This transformative new pod, which will be dedicated to up to two advertisers, combines the power of fewer, better and more contextually relevant ads,” NBCU says, “gives clients a unique opportunity to connect with audiences in the most effective, exciting, and efficient way.”