The president proposes the current assistant bureau chief of the FCC’s Enforcement Bureau to fill the seat previously held by Democrat Mignon Clyburn.
On Friday evening, President Trump announced his nomination of Democrat Geoffrey Starks to fill the commissioner’s seat left vacant when Mignon Clyburn quit in April. That term runs through June 30, 2022.
Starks currently is assistant bureau chief of the commission’s Enforcement Bureau. He previously was senior counsel at the Justice Department during the Obama administration.
According to TechCrunch, “It’s unclear as yet what his position is on the various measures currently being addressed by the FCC, from net neutrality to the revamping of media regulations. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer reportedly settled on Starks as long as a couple months ago, the interim no doubt being spent on due diligence, cultivating endorsements, and so on.”
FCC Chairman Ajit Pai issued the following statement: “I congratulate Geoffrey Starks on his forthcoming nomination to serve as a commissioner on the Federal Communications Commission. He has a distinguished record of public service, including in the FCC’s Enforcement Bureau, and I wish him all the best during the confirmation process.”
On Saturday, NAB President-CEO Gordon Smith said: “NAB strongly supports President Trump’s selection of Geoffrey Starks to a seat on the Federal Communications Commission. We endorse his swift confirmation.”
American Cable Association President-CEO Matthew M. Polka said: “ACA congratulates Geoffrey Starks on his nomination to serve on the Federal Communications Commission, an agency he knows well from his current service as Assistant Bureau Chief in the Enforcement Bureau. We look forward to working with Mr. Starks following his confirmation by the U.S. Senate, which we hope will occur promptly.”