World Cup Preemptions Bedevil Syndies
Preemptions for 2018 World Cup continued to rattle most of syndication as summer got under way in the session ending June 24.
However, one notable exception was Dr. Phil, which dominated the talkers for a record 94th straight week.
Even though Phil aired reruns on all five days, it was still the only one of the 15 talk shows moving up in rating from the prior frame with a 4% advance to a 2.8 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating.
A steady Live with Kelly and Ryan at a 2.0 and Steve Harvey’s Steve at a solid 1.1, despite being in repeats for part of the week, only other top-five programs in the category to avoid declines. In addition, Live, which aired repacked episodes for most of the week, rose 13% in the key women 25-54 demo.
Meanwhile, Ellen DeGeneres fell 5% to a third-place 1.9, and Maury slid 8% to a new series-low 1.2.
Further back, Jerry Springer, which has ceased production, tumbled 10% to a 10-year-low 0.9, tying Rachael Ray and Steve Wilkos, which also weakened 10% to a new season-low 0.9.
The retitled Wendy Williams-World Cup repeats sank 25% to a 0.6, and The Real receded 20% to a new series-low 0.4.
On the other hand, most of the top-five magazines held their ground. Entertainment Tonight was firm at a 2.8, tying Inside Edition for the lead as Edition slipped 3%. After that, a steady Access and Extra battled TMZ to a three-way dead heat at a 1.1 as TMZ backed off 8% to a new season low.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.1, unchanged from the week before)
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (0.9, +13%)
- Ellen DeGeneres (0.8, -11%)
- Maury (0.7, -13%)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 2.8 +4%
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.0 NC
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 1.9 -5%
- Maury (NBCU) 1.2** -8%
- Steve (NBCU) 1.1 NC
- 6. Rachael Ray (CTD) 0.9** -10%
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 0.9** -10%
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 0.9** -10%
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 0.9 NC
- Crime Watch Daily with Chris Hansen (WBDTD) 0.7** -13%
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.7 NC
- Wendy Williams-World Cup (Debmar-Mercury) 0.6 -25%
- Harry (NBCU) 0.6 NC
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.4** -20%
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 0.9 NC
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.6 NC
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.4 NC
- Pickler & Ben(Disney-ABC) 0.3 NC
- Judge Judy (CTD) 6.3** -5%
- Hot Bench(CTD) 1.8** -18%
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.4 NC
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 0.9 NC
- Divorce Court (Twentieth) 0.9 +13%
- Judge Faith (Trifecta) 0.5** -17%
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 6.3 +5%
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 5.6 +2%
- Jeopardy (CTD) 5.6 +4%
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.4** -7%
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.3 -7%
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.3 NC
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 2.8 NC
- Inside Edition (CTD) 2.8 -3%
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.1** -8%
- Access (NBCU) 1.1 NC
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.3 +50%
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.4 +5%
- Last Man Standing (Twentieth) 2.1 +5%
- 3. Modern Family (Twentieth) 2.0 NC
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.6 NC
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.5 +7%
- Family Guy (Twentieth) 1.5 NC
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.2 NC
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.0** -9%
- The Cleveland Show (Twentieth) 1.0 NC
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.4 +3%
- Law & Order: SVU (NBCU) 3.0 -6%
- American Ninja Warrior (NBCU) 1.9 +6%
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.6 +7%
- Blue Bloods (CTD) 1.6 -6%
- CSI Miami (CTD) 1.2 NC
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.2 -8%