First-Run Fizzles In July 4 Week
Most syndicated shows continued to stagnate in the Independence Day holiday week ending July 8 as competition with — or preemptions from — coverage of the World Cup continued to depress ratings.
In access, game shows were no fun, with every program in the genre on the down side. Leader Family Feud fell 2% from the week before to a 6.1 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating. Jeopardy slipped 7 to a new season-low 5.3, tying Wheel of Fortune, which declined 4 to a new season-low 5.3. And Who Wants to Be a Millionaire lost 6% to a 1.5.
Among magazines, a steady Extra was the only show in the top five to hold its own, creating a triple dead heat for third while tying Access and TMZ at a 1.0.
In first place, Entertainment Tonight and Inside Edition both dipped 7% to 2.6 new season-lows.
In daytime, it was a mixed bag with some strips recovering from recent steep drops. Dr. Phil finished first in talk for the 96th straight week despite being in reruns on all five days and easing 7% to a 2.6.
Live with Kelly and Ryan was the only other talker above a 2 rating, jumping 11% to a four-week high 2.1 for second place with a 13% advance in the key demo and growth of 5% from last year.
After that, Ellen DeGeneres was off 12% to a new season-low 1.5 and Maury remained at its series low 1.2 for a third consecutive week.
In fifth place, Wendy Williams returned to original shows after three weeks of retitled World Cup encore episodes and rose 83% to a 1.1, tying an all-repeat week of Steve Harvey’s Steve, which was steady at a 1.1.
Also making a strong upward move was court show Hot Bench, which jumped 11% to a 2.0 even though it aired repeats all week.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.1, -8% from the week before)
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (0.9, +13%)
- Maury (0.7, unchanged), tied with Ellen DeGeneres (0.7, -13%)
- Wendy Williams (0.6, +50%), tied with Steve Wilkos (0.6, unchanged)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 2.6 -7%
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.1 +11%
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 1.5** -12%
- Maury (NBCU) 1.2 NC
- Steve (NBCU) 1.1 NC
- Wendy Williams (Debmar-Mercury) 1.1 +83%
- Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.0 NC
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 1.0 +11%
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 1.0 +11%
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 0.9 NC
- Crime Watch Daily with Chris Hansen (WBDTD) 0.8 +14%
- Harry (NBCU) 0.6 +20%
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.6 +20%
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.6** -14%
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 0.9 NC
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.6 NC
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.4 NC
- Pickler & Ben(Disney-ABC) NA (being reprocessed)
- Judge Judy (CTD) 6.0** -2%
- Hot Bench(CTD) 2.0 +11%
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.3 +8%
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 1.0 +11%
- Divorce Court (Twentieth) 0.8 NC
- Judge Faith (Trifecta) 0.6 +20%
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 6.1 -2%
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 5.3** -4%
- Jeopardy (CTD) 5.3** -7%
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.5 -6%
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.3 NC
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.2 NC
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 2.6** -7%
- Inside Edition (CTD) 2.6** -7%
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.0** -9%
- Access (NBCU) 1.0** -9%
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.3 +50%
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.0** -7%
- Last Man Standing (Twentieth) 2.0 NC
- 3. Modern Family (Twentieth) 1.9** -5%
- Family Guy (Twentieth) 1.6 +14%
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.5 +7%
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.4 +8%
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.2 NC
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.1 +10%
- Seinfeld (Sony) 1.0 +11%
- How I Met Your Mother (Twentieth) 1.0 +25%
- The Cleveland Show (Twentieth) 1.0 -9%
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Law & Order: SVU (NBCU) 2.9 -3%
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 2.9 -15%
- American Ninja Warrior (NBCU) 2.1 +11%
- Blue Bloods (CTD) 1.6 +14%
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.5 -12%
- CSI Miami (CTD) 1.1 -8%
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.1 -21%
- Major Crimes (WBDTD) 1.1 +10%