Talk Shows Rule Syndication Scorecard
Talkers were the strongest performers in the session ending July 29, with 11 of the 14 shows holding firm or moving up from the week before.
Dr. Phil set the pace with a top-rated and stable 2.6 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating, finishing first in talk for the 99th week in a row, despite being entirely in reruns.
Live with Kelly and Ryan was a formidable second choice, climbing 11% to a three-week high 2.1, and growing 11% from last year, the most annual growth of any talk show.
Ellen DeGeneres rounded out the top three, but slipped 6% to a 1.5.
Other notable gainers in the category included:
- Crime Watch Daily, which jumped 13% to a seven-week high 0.9.
- The Real, which rallied 20% to a 0.6, tying Harry, which also advanced 20% to a 0.6.
In magazine action, Entertainment Tonight hung tough with a steady 2.7, and tied sister show Inside Edition (which fell 4% to a 2.7) for first place.
Moving up sharply were Access, which rose 10% to a four-week high, and TMZ, which added 9%, while Extra held firm.
At the top of the chart, an all-repeat week of Judge Judy mustered a hefty 6.3, tying access game show leader Family Feud as syndication’s highest-rated program.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.0, -9% from the week before)
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (0.9, unchanged)
- Maury (0.7, -13%), tied with Ellen (0.7, unchanged)
- Steve Wilkos (0.6, unchanged)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 2.6 NC
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.1 +11%
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 1.5 -6%
- Maury (NBCU) 1.3 NC
- Steve (NBCU) 1.1 NC
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 1.1 +10%
- 7. Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.0 +11%
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 1.0 NC
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 0.9 -10%
- Crime Watch Daily with Chris Hansen (WBDTD) 0.9 +13%
- Wendy Williams (Debmar-Mercury) 0.9 -18%
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.7 NC
- Harry (NBCU) 0.6 +20%
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.6 +20%
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 1.0 +11%
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.7 +17%
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.5 +25%
- Pickler & Ben(Disney-ABC) NA
- Judge Judy (CTD) 6.3 NC
- Hot Bench(CTD) 2.0 -5%
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.4 NC
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Divorce Court (Twentieth) 0.8 +14%
- Judge Faith (Trifecta) 0.6 +20%
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 6.3 NC
- Jeopardy (CTD) 5.6 NC
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 5.4 +2%
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.5 NC
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.3 NC
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.2 NC
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 2.7 NC
- Inside Edition (CTD) 2.7 -4%
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.2 +9%
- Access (NBCU) 1.1 +10%
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.3 +50%
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.2 NC
- Last Man Standing (Twentieth) 2.4 NC
- 3. Modern Family (Twentieth) 2.2 +16%
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.6 NC
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.5 NC
- Family Guy (Twentieth) 1.4 +8%
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.3 +8%
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Seinfeld (Sony) 1.0 NC
- How I Met Your Mother (Twentieth) 1.0 NC
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.6 +9%
- Law & Order: SVU (NBCU) 3.0 +3%
- Blue Bloods (CTD) 1.6 +7%
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.5 -12%
- American Ninja Warrior (NBCU) 1.4 +8%
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.3 +8%