UPDATED

Tribune Suing Sinclair For $1 Billion+

It says Sinclair broke its merger agreement by proposing “extremely risky and highly controversial divestitures to buyers that were specifically disfavored by the FCC staff,” deliberately omitted material facts from FCC applications and generally antagonizing "the regulators at both DOJ and the FCC while seeking their approval.”

Tribune Media, which on Thursday withdrew from its $3.9 billion buyout by Sinclair Broadcast Group, is suing Sinclair for “approximately $1 billion of lost premium to Tribune’s stockholders and additional damages in an amount to be proven at trial.”

Shares of Sinclair slid more than 4% at the opening bell.

In its complaint filed in the Chancery Court in Delaware, Tribune claimed that Sinclair used “unnecessarily aggressive and protracted negotiations” with the Department of Justice and the FCC over regulatory requirements and that it refused to sell the stations it needed to in order for regulatory approval.

In the filing, Tribune said: “Beginning in November 2017, DOJ repeatedly told Sinclair that it would clear the merger if Sinclair simply agreed to sell stations in the 10 markets the parties had identified in the merger agreement. DOJ’s message to Sinclair could not have been clearer: if Sinclair agreed to sales in those 10 markets, ‘We would be done.’

“DOJ’s demand was neither unexpected nor draconian,” Tribune continued. “It overlapped entirely with what Sinclair had already committed to do in the merger agreement. Yet Sinclair refused, deciding instead to antagonize DOJ officials, including by accusing the Assistant Attorney General of the Antitrust Division — the highest ranking official in that division — of ‘completely misunderstand[ing]’ the broadcast industry and being ‘more regulatory’ than any recent predecessor.

“In meetings with DOJ,” Tribune continued: “Sinclair invited litigation over station divestitures, summarizing its position to DOJ in two words: ‘sue me.’

BRAND CONNECTIONS

“Indeed, Sinclair went so far as to threaten to file its own lawsuit against DOJ. This was the polar opposite of what Sinclair had promised under the merger agreement when it agreed to proffer the identified station divestitures to avoid even a threat of litigation with regulators.”

Tribune said it warned Sinclair “repeatedly over many months that its refusal of DOJ’s demands constituted a breach of its obligations under the merger agreement. Sinclair repeatedly ignored Tribune’s admonitions and refused even to respond substantively.”

Sinclair had wanted the Tribune’s 42 TV stations and had initially agreed to dump almost two dozen of its own to win approval by the FCC. The media company which has enjoyed the support of President Donald Trump appeared to be cruising toward approval by U.S. regulators.

Last month, however, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said that he had “serious concerns” about the deal, saying that Sinclair might still be able to operate the stations “in practice, even if not in name.”

Tribune’s complaint alleges “Sinclair’s material breaches were willful breaches of the merger agreement, because they were deliberate acts and deliberate failures to act that were taken with the actual knowledge that they would or would reasonably be expected to result in or constitute a material breach.

“As a result of Sinclair’s breaches, Tribune has sustained financial harm and has lost the expected benefits of the merger agreement.”

In a statement, Sinclair President-CEO Chris Ripley said: “We are extremely disappointed that after 15 months of trying to close the Tribune transaction, we are instead announcing its termination. We unequivocally stand by our position that we did not mislead the FCC with respect to the transaction or act in any way other than with complete candor and transparency.

“As Tribune, however commented, in their belief, the FCC’s recent designation of the deal for a hearing in front of an Administrative Law Judge would have resulted in a potentially long and burdensome process and, therefore, pursuing the transaction was not in the best interest of their company and shareholders.  As for Tribune’s lawsuit, we fully complied with our obligations under the merger agreement and tirelessly worked to close this transaction.  The lawsuit described in Tribune’s public filings today is entirely without merit, and we intend to defend against it vigorously.

“Nonetheless, we wish to thank both our and Tribune’s employees and our many advisers who have committed a tremendous amount of time and effort over the past 15 months towards the acquisition of Tribune.  It is unfortunate that those efforts have not been realized.  The combined company would have benefited the entire broadcast industry and the public through the advancement of ATSC 3.0, increased local news and enhanced programming.”


Comments (11)

Leave a Reply

hopeyoumakeit says:

August 9, 2018 at 10:50 am

so tribune is going to end up buying Sinclair ?
America might survive afterall

    Megatron81 says:

    August 9, 2018 at 11:40 pm

    Not going to happen Sinclair would reject that offer from Tribune. America has always been fine and has always survived many times but you don’t get it.

Scott G says:

August 9, 2018 at 11:11 am

Forgive me for enjoying some schadenfreude.

WhoozeIt says:

August 9, 2018 at 12:49 pm

Pride came before the fall.

Don’t like my opinion?

“Sue me.”

will says:

August 9, 2018 at 5:19 pm

Sinclair may have overplayed its hand at the FCC and DOJ, but to suggest that they explicitly acted to scuttle the deal is laughable on its face. Remember that Tribune is on the hook for $135M as a breakup fee, and it is they who walked away from the merger. By contrast, Tribune’s projections of “lost premium” are speculative at best.

    will says:

    August 9, 2018 at 9:18 pm

    Actually the timing of the merger termination allows Tribune to avoid paying the $135M breakup fee.

Bill Carter says:

August 9, 2018 at 6:04 pm

Tough doing business with a bully.
.Good for you Tribune

Megatron81 says:

August 9, 2018 at 11:41 pm

Doubt that Tribune gets a billion dollars from Sinclair don’t even know if they will get any $$$ maybe will get some money back but not a billion dollars.

Buy Proxies says:

August 10, 2018 at 12:42 am

Great post, I think website owners should acquire a lot from this website its rattling user pleasant.

바카라사이트쿠폰 says:

August 10, 2018 at 10:10 am

You could certainly see your skills within the work you write.
The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who
are not afraid to say how they believe. Always go
after your heart.

Burt Ward says:

August 10, 2018 at 12:02 pm

Our market would have been really shuffled. Sinclair was going to own an NBC, FOX, CW, and an indy. So they were spinning off the indy and Fox. And the irony is that the NBC and indy station just moved into a brand new, totally state of the art plant. And it would have been very messy because Fox and CW have shared a plant for many years. So Fox would have to move out, where, I have no idea. Also the case with the Indy station. Now what could have happened is that Sinclair moved CW over to the NBC plant since its totally new and dual use already. Then they sell the FOX station to the buyer. As for KAUT, who knows where they can go, maybe a shell of a station at the big digital stick.


More News