‘Judy’ Takes Full-Season Syndie Ratings Honors
The verdict is in, and for the firth year in a row Judge Judy overruled all competition and will be the highest rated show of any type for the entire syndication season.
As of the session ending Aug. 12, with just two weeks yet to be counted for 2017-18, the famous courtroom program has lit up the Nielsen chart and opened an insurmountable lead with a full-season 6.9 live-plus-same-day national household Nielsen average.
That marks the show’s second biggest rating in the past four years.
And also according to the household ratings, Judy has been the top show in first run for the past nine years.
Turning to the current session, the frame ending Aug. 12, Judy scored a syndication-best 6.4 and grew 3% from last year despite being entirely in reruns.
Elsewhere in daytime, most shows were little changed in a quiet summer stanza.
In talk, Dr. Phil was completely in repeats but continued to roll, taking first place in the category for the 101st straight week with a steady 2.7.
Live with Kelly and Ryan held firm at a 2.0, jumped 13% in the key women 25-54 demo and grabbed sole possession of second place for the eighth week in a row.
Ellen DeGeneres declined 6% to a 1.5 in third place.
One of the strongest gainers in the genre was Crime Watch Daily, which surged 13% to a 0.9, and also captured the category’s largest year-to-year improvement, leaping 13%.
Also making a sharp move was The Real, which rose 20% to a 0.6.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.1, unchanged from the week before)
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (0.9, +13%)
- Maury (0.7, -13%), tied with Ellen DeGeneres (0.7, unchanged)
- Steve Wilkos (0.6, unchanged), tied with Jerry Springer (0.6, +20%)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 2.7 NC
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.0 NC
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 1.5 -6%
- Maury (NBCU) 1.3 NC
- Steve (NBCU) 1.1 NC
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 1.1 +10%
- Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.0 NC
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 1.0 NC
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 1.0 NC
- Crime Watch Daily with Chris Hansen (WBDTD) 0.9 +13%
- Wendy Williams (Debmar-Mercury) 0.8** -11%
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.7 NC
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.6 +20%
- Harry (NBCU) 0.5 -17%
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 0.9 NC
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.6 NC
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.5 NC
- Pickler & Ben(Disney-ABC) NA (being reprocessed)
- Judge Judy (CTD) 6.4 NC
- Hot Bench(CTD) 2.1 NC
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.5 +7%
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Divorce Court (Twentieth) 0.8 +14%
- Judge Faith (Trifecta) 0.5 -17%
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 6.2 -2%
- Jeopardy (CTD) 5.4 NC
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 5.3 -2%
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.6 +7%
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.4 NC
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.3 NC
- Inside Edition (CTD) 2.8 NC
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 2.6 NC
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.1 -8%
- Access (NBCU) 1.0 -9%
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.3 +50%
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.0 -2%
- Last Man Standing (Twentieth) 2.1 -9%
- Modern Family (Twentieth) 1.9 NC
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.6 NC
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.5 NC
- Family Guy (Twentieth) 1.4 -7%
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.3 +8%
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Seinfeld (Sony) 1.0 NC
- How I Met Your Mother (Twentieth) 1.0 NC
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.4 NC
- Law & Order: SVU (NBCU) 3.1 NC
- American Ninja Warrior (NBCU) 1.6 -24%
- Blue Bloods (CTD) 1.6 +7%
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.3 -13%
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.2 NC