Family Feud had been all alone at the top of the games for the prior 27 weeks, but this time Wheel of Fortune rose 7% from the previous round to a 5.9 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating, while Feud fell 5% to a 5.8, landing in a tie for the runner-up spot in the genre with Jeopardy, which added 4% to a 5.8.
Usual game show leader Family Feud was beaten by rival Wheel of Fortune in the session ending Sept. 30, which was marked by heavy preemptions for coverage of the Kavanaugh-Ford Judiciary hearings, which plagued many daytime strips. Ratings were also affected by increased viewing of cable news channels covering the day-long hearing.
Feud had been all alone at the top of the games for the prior 27 weeks, but this time Wheel rose 7% from the previous round to a 5.9 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating, while Feud fell 5% to a 5.8, landing in a tie for the runner-up spot in the genre with Jeopardy, which added 4% to a 5.8.
However, even with the weekly victory, Wheel’s 5.9 was no match for overall leader Judge Judy, which clocked a top-ranked 6.8.
Among the talkers, Dr. Phil romped for the 108th straight week regardless of the preemptions, even though it dipped 3% to a 2.9.
Live with Kelly and Ryan regained sole possession of second place with a steady 2.1, edging Ellen DeGeneres, which declined 5% to a third-place 2.0.
In rookie action, Face the Truth grew 25% in the key women 25-54 demo and was the No. 1 new strip in first run with a steady 0.8, outperforming the premiere week of rival newcomer Caught in Providence at a 0.5.
Also making its first appearance on the Nielsen chart was the scripted off-net police procedural strip Chicago P.D., which captured a 0.8 for its debut.
Back in access, Entertainment Tonight took over first place among the magazines with a 4% advance to a 2.9. Inside Edition dropped into second, slipping 3% to a 2.8.
The only magazine in the top seven able to hold 100% of its year-ago rating was sophomore Page Six TV at a 0.7, which was steady despite numerous preemptions.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.2, -8% from the week before)
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (1.0, +11%)
- Ellen DeGeneres (0.9, +13%), tied with Maury (0.9, +13%)
- Wendy Williams (0.8, unchanged)
- Steve Wilkos (0.7, +17%)
- Steve (0.6, unchanged)
- Face the Truth (0.5 +25%), tied with Rachal Ray (0.5, unchanged)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 2.9 -3%
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.1 NC
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 2.0 -5%
- Maury (NBCU) 1.4 NC
- Wendy Williams (Debmar-Mercury) 1.3 +8%
- Steve (NBCU) 1.2 -8%
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 1.1 NC
- Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.0 NC
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 1.0 NC
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.7 NC
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.5 NC
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 0.4 NC
- Pickler & Ben (Disney-ABC) 0.4 NC
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Face the Truth (CTD) 0.8 NC
- Caught in Providence (20th Television) 0.5 NA
- Judge Judy (CTD) 6.8 -4%
- Hot Bench(CTD) 2.2 NC
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.3 -7%
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Divorce Court (Twentieth) 0.7 -13%
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 5.9 +7%
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 5.8 -5%
- Jeopardy (CTD) 5.8 +4%
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.6 NC
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.5 NC
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.2 NC
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.3 -7%
- Live PD: Police Patrol (Sony) 1.0 NC
- True Crime Files (20th Television) 0.3 NC
SCRIPTED OFF-NET POLICE PROCEDURAL
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 0.8 NA
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 2.9 +4%
- Inside Edition (CTD) 2.8 -3%
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.2 NC
- Access (NBCU) 1.2 NC
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 0.9 -10%
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.7 NC
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.3 NC
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.3 NC
- Modern Family (Twentieth) 2.0 -5%
- Last Man Standing (Twentieth) 2.0 -5%
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.3 -7%
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.3 -7%
- Family Guy (Twentieth) 1.2 NC
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Black-ish (Disney-ABC) 1.0 NC
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Seinfeld (Sony) 1.0 +11%
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.1 NC
- NCIS: New Orleans (CTD) 1.4 +8%
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.3 +8%
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.3 -13%
- Chicago PD (NBCU) 1.1 NA
- Rizzoli & Isles (WBDTD) 1.0 +11%