‘Wheel’ Takes Top Game Show Spot
Usual game show leader Family Feud was beaten by rival Wheel of Fortune in the session ending Sept. 30, which was marked by heavy preemptions for coverage of the Kavanaugh-Ford Judiciary hearings, which plagued many daytime strips. Ratings were also affected by increased viewing of cable news channels covering the day-long hearing.
Feud had been all alone at the top of the games for the prior 27 weeks, but this time Wheel rose 7% from the previous round to a 5.9 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating, while Feud fell 5% to a 5.8, landing in a tie for the runner-up spot in the genre with Jeopardy, which added 4% to a 5.8.
However, even with the weekly victory, Wheel’s 5.9 was no match for overall leader Judge Judy, which clocked a top-ranked 6.8.
Among the talkers, Dr. Phil romped for the 108th straight week regardless of the preemptions, even though it dipped 3% to a 2.9.
Live with Kelly and Ryan regained sole possession of second place with a steady 2.1, edging Ellen DeGeneres, which declined 5% to a third-place 2.0.
In rookie action, Face the Truth grew 25% in the key women 25-54 demo and was the No. 1 new strip in first run with a steady 0.8, outperforming the premiere week of rival newcomer Caught in Providence at a 0.5.
Also making its first appearance on the Nielsen chart was the scripted off-net police procedural strip Chicago P.D., which captured a 0.8 for its debut.
Back in access, Entertainment Tonight took over first place among the magazines with a 4% advance to a 2.9. Inside Edition dropped into second, slipping 3% to a 2.8.
The only magazine in the top seven able to hold 100% of its year-ago rating was sophomore Page Six TV at a 0.7, which was steady despite numerous preemptions.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.2, -8% from the week before)
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (1.0, +11%)
- Ellen DeGeneres (0.9, +13%), tied with Maury (0.9, +13%)
- Wendy Williams (0.8, unchanged)
- Steve Wilkos (0.7, +17%)
- Steve (0.6, unchanged)
- Face the Truth (0.5 +25%), tied with Rachal Ray (0.5, unchanged)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 2.9 -3%
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.1 NC
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 2.0 -5%
- Maury (NBCU) 1.4 NC
- Wendy Williams (Debmar-Mercury) 1.3 +8%
- Steve (NBCU) 1.2 -8%
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 1.1 NC
- Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.0 NC
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 1.0 NC
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.7 NC
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.5 NC
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 0.4 NC
- Pickler & Ben (Disney-ABC) 0.4 NC
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Face the Truth (CTD) 0.8 NC
- Caught in Providence (20th Television) 0.5 NA
- Judge Judy (CTD) 6.8 -4%
- Hot Bench(CTD) 2.2 NC
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.3 -7%
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Divorce Court (Twentieth) 0.7 -13%
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 5.9 +7%
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 5.8 -5%
- Jeopardy (CTD) 5.8 +4%
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.6 NC
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.5 NC
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.2 NC
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.3 -7%
- Live PD: Police Patrol (Sony) 1.0 NC
- True Crime Files (20th Television) 0.3 NC
SCRIPTED OFF-NET POLICE PROCEDURAL
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 0.8 NA
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 2.9 +4%
- Inside Edition (CTD) 2.8 -3%
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.2 NC
- Access (NBCU) 1.2 NC
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 0.9 -10%
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.7 NC
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.3 NC
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.3 NC
- Modern Family (Twentieth) 2.0 -5%
- Last Man Standing (Twentieth) 2.0 -5%
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.3 -7%
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.3 -7%
- Family Guy (Twentieth) 1.2 NC
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Black-ish (Disney-ABC) 1.0 NC
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Seinfeld (Sony) 1.0 +11%
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.1 NC
- NCIS: New Orleans (CTD) 1.4 +8%
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.3 +8%
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.3 -13%
- Chicago PD (NBCU) 1.1 NA
- Rizzoli & Isles (WBDTD) 1.0 +11%