Face the Truth, the season’s No. 1 new syndicated strip, jumped 14% in households to a 0.8 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating, matching its highest rating to date. And fellow rookie, Caught in Providence, climbed 20% to a new season-high 0.6.
The newest shows in first run were also the hottest in the session ending Oct. 21, the last full week before the November sweep.
Face the Truth, the season’s No. 1 new strip, jumped 14% in households to a 0.8 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating, matching its highest rating to date. And fellow rookie, Caught in Providence, climbed 20% to a new season-high 0.6.
Meanwhile, in the key women 25-54 demo, Truth spiked 25% to a 0.5, while Providence grew 50% to a 0.3.
Among the veterans, Dr. Phil rolled to its 111th straight first-place finish in talk with a steady 2.8 and was renewed out to 2023, bringing the show to a total of five more years.
Live with Kelly and Ryan was best of the rest in households, maintaining its 2.1 in second place, while Ellen DeGeneres was unchanged at a 2.0 in third.
Steve Harvey’s Steve moved up to fourth place with a steady 1.3 and entered a three-way tie at that significant level with Wendy Williams, which was unchanged at a 1.3, and Maury, which slipped 7% to a 1.3.
Among magazines, the upside movers were Access — which rose 8% to a 1.3 and outperformed TMZ for the first time this season, taking sole possession of third place in the category after Inside Edition and Entertainment Tonight — and Extra, which tied its season-high with a 10% leap to a 1.1 despite massive Thursday Night Football and other preemptions.
Also of note, the off-net procedural Chicago P.D. captured a 13% gain to a new season-high 0.9 in its fourth week in syndication.
In addition, Judge Judy’s rating popped to a four-week high and the show continued to dominate the Nielsen chart for the 12th week in a row with a 6.9, up 1% for the week and 3% from last year.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.2, -8% from the week before)
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (0.9, unchanged), tied with Ellen DeGeneres (0.9, unchanged)
- Maury (0.8, -11%), tied with Wendy Williams (0.8, unchanged)
- Steve Wilkos (0.7, unchanged)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 2.8 NC
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.1 NC
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 2.0 NC
- Steve (NBCU) 1.3 NC
- Maury (NBCU) 1.3 -7%
- Wendy Williams (Debmar-Mercury) 1.3 NC
- Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.1 NC
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 1.1 NC
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 1.0 -9%
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.7 NC
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.6* +20%
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 0.4 NC
- Pickler & Ben (Disney-ABC) 0.4 NC
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Face the Truth (CTD) 0.8 +14%
- Caught in Providence (20th Television) 0.6* +20%
- Judge Judy (CTD) 6.9 +1%
- Hot Bench(CTD) 2.2 -4%
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.4 NC
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Divorce Court (20th Television) 0.7 NC
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 6.3* +2%
- Jeopardy (CTD) 6.1* +3%
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 6.0* +2%
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.6 NC
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.5 NC
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.2 NC
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.3 -7%
- Live PD: Police Patrol (Sony) 0.9 NC
- True Crime Files (20th Television) 0.3 NC
SCRIPTED OFF-NET POLICE PROCEDURAL
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 0.9* +13%
- Inside Edition (CTD) 3.0 NC
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 2.9 NC
- Access (NBCU) 1.3 +8%
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.2 NC
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.1 +10%
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 1.0 NC
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.6 -14%
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.2 NC
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.1 -2%
- Last Man Standing (20th Television) 2.3* +10%
- Modern Family (20th Television) 1.9 NC
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.5 NC
- Family Guy (20th Television) 1.4* +17%
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.3 -7%
- Black-ish (Disney-ABC) 1.1 NC
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.0 -9%
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Seinfeld (Sony) 0.9 NC
- Mom (WBDTD) 0.9 +13%
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.2 +3%
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.4 +8%
- NCIS: New Orleans (CTD) 1.4 NC
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.0 -17%
- Chicago P.D.(NBCU) 1.0 NC
- Madam Secretary(CTD) 1.0 NC