Talk, Courts, True Crime Post Weekly Gains
Judge Judy came out with guns blazing and drew a crowd of more than 10.3 million daily viewers as the November sweep got underway in the session ending Oct. 28, a frame that included preemptions for the World Series and the arrest of the mail bomb suspect.
Nevertheless, Judy, still going strong in its 23rd year, raced to a new season-high 7.3 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating, and towered over all syndicated shows for the 13th seek in a row. That was up 6% week to week, up 3% year to year and more than a full point ahead of any other first-run or off-net program.
Hot Bench, the No. 2 courtroom after Judy, was the only other gaveler in positive territory, gaining 5% to a 2.3 and matching its season high.
Elsewhere in daytime, Dr. Phil rose 4% to a four-week high 2.9 and finished first among talkers for the 112th straight week.
Live with Kelly and Ryan was also hot, solidifying its hold on second-place among households in talk with a 5% jump to a 2.2, and equaling its season high.
After that, Ellen DeGeneres was unchanged at a 2.0 in third place.
Turning to true crime, category leader Dateline shot up 8% to a 1.4, matching its season high. Meanwhile, the scripted procedural Chicago P.D. collared an 11% increase, hitting a new season-high 1.0 and jumping 25% among women 25-54 in its fifth week in syndication.
In the always hotly contested battle for magazine supremacy, Entertainment Tonight was No. 1 with a 7% spike to a new season-high 3.1.
Inside Edition followed with an unchanged 3.0; Access took third despite easing to a 1.2; Extra, holding steady at its season high 1.1, leapfrogged over TMZ for the first time in over a year.
In another first, Daily Mail TV tied TMZ as Mail held its own at a 1.0 while TMZ slipped 17% to a 1.0.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.3, +8% from the week before)
- Ellen DeGeneres (0.9, unchanged), tied with Live with Kelly and Ryan (0.9, unchanged) and Maury (0.9, +13%)
- Wendy Williams (0.8, unchanged)
- Steve Wilkos (0.7, unchanged)
- Steve (0.6, +20%)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 2.9 +4%
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.2 +5%
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 2.0 NC
- Maury (NBCU) 1.4 +8%
- Steve (NBCU) 1.3 NC
- Wendy Williams (Debmar-Mercury) 1.3 NC
- Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.1 NC
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 1.1 NC
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 1.0 NC
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.7 NC
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.5 -17%
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 0.4 NC
- Pickler & Ben (Disney-ABC) 0.4 NC
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Face the Truth (CTD) 0.8 NC
- Caught in Providence (20th Television) 0.6 NC
- Judge Judy (CTD) 7.3* +6%
- Hot Bench(CTD) 2.3 +5%
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.4 NC
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Divorce Court (20th Television) 0.7 NC
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 6.1 -3%
- Jeopardy (CTD) 6.1 NC
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 5.9 -2%
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.5** -6%
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.5 NC
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.2 NC
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.4 +8%
- Live PD: Police Patrol (Sony) 1.1* +22%
- True Crime Files (20th Television) 0.3 NC
SCRIPTED OFF-NET POLICE PROCEDURAL
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 1.0* +11%
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 3.1* +7%
- Inside Edition (CTD) 3.0 NC
- Access (NBCU) 1.2 -8%
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.0** -17%
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 1.0 NC
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.6 NC
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.2 NC
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.0** -2%
- Last Man Standing (20th Television) 2.1 -9%
- Modern Family (20th Television) 2.0 +5%
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.5 NC
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.3 NC
- Family Guy (20th Television) 1.3 -7%
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.1 +10%
- Black-ish (Disney-ABC) 1.1 NC
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 0.9** -10%
- Seinfeld (Sony) 0.9 NC
- Mom (WBDTD) 0.9 NC
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.8* +19%
- NCIS: New Orleans (CTD) 1.3 -7%
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.2** -14%
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.1 +10%
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 1.1 +10%
- Madam Secretary (CTD) 0.9 -10%
- Rizzoli & Isles (WBDTD) 0.9 +13%
- American Ninja Warrior (NBCU) 0.9 +29%