The victory in the frame ending Nov. 11 made the show No. 1 among courtrooms and put it in first place overall among households for the 15th week in a row with its widest margin of victory yet this season.
Judge Judy’s ratings went through the roof in the session ending Nov. 11, surging to a new season-high and opening an all-but-insurmountable lead over all syndicated programs at the midpoint of the traditional November sweep.
Judy drew a crowd of more than 10.5 million daily viewers and scored a 7.5 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating, its best numbers in 39 weeks.
That put the show in first place overall among households for the 15th week in a row with its widest margin of victory yet this season.
Making the Judy season record performance even more impressive was the fact that it overcame the preemptions for coverage of the midterm elections, the Thousand Oaks, Calif., bar shooting and the West Coast wildfires that prevented the vast majority of first-run strips from improving at all. For example, none of the other courtrooms was in the plus column for the frame.
Elsewhere in daytime, only one of the top six talk shows managed to go up — namely Ellen DeGeneres, which grew 10% to a new season-high 2.3 and slipped into sole possession of second place among gabfests behind Dr. Phil for the first time in 25 weeks.
Phil remained far in front of the talkers for the 114th week in a row with a steady 3.0.
Live with Kelly and Ryan clocked a 2.1, giving up 9% after hitting a new season best in the previous week, which featured its highly rated annual Halloween episode.
Rounding out talk’s top six were Maury, Steve and Wendy Williams, all unchanged at 1.4, 1.3 and 1.3, respectively.
Moreover, Steve had its biggest week yet in No. 3 market Chicago, shooting up 27% to a 1.4 rating/5 share, which was 17% ahead of last year.
In access, although none of the games was in positive territory, Inside Edition managed to squeeze out an increase in the magazine race, recovering 3% to a 3.0 and edging Entertainment Tonight’s 2.8 for the top spot in the category.
TMZ held on to third place and Extra, steady at a 1.1, tied Access for the first time since the week ending July 8 with Daily Mail TV just one tick behind at a 1.0.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.3, unchanged from the week before)
- Ellen DeGeneres (1.0, unchanged)
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (0.9, -10%), tied with Maury (0.9, unchanged)
- Wendy Williams (0.8, unchanged)
- Steve Wilkos (0.7, unchanged)
- Steve (0.6, unchanged)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 3.0 NC
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 2.3* +10%
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.1 -9%
- Maury (NBCU) 1.4 NC
- Steve (NBCU) 1.3 NC
- Wendy Williams (Debmar-Mercury) 1.3 NC
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 1.2* +9%
- Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.1 NC
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 1.1 NC
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.7 NC
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.5 -17%
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 0.4 NC
- Pickler & Ben (Disney-ABC) 0.4 NC
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Face the Truth (CTD) 0.8 NC
- Caught in Providence (20th Television) 0.6 NC
- Judge Judy (CTD) 7.5* +3%
- Hot Bench(CTD) 2.3 NC
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.5 NC
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Divorce Court (20th Television) 0.8 NC
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 6.2 -3%
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 6.1 NC
- Jeopardy (CTD) 6.0 -2%
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.5 -6%
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.5 NC
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.2 NC
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.3 -7%
- Live PD: Police Patrol (Sony) 1.1 +10%
- True Crime Files (20th Television) 0.3 NC
SCRIPTED OFF-NET POLICE PROCEDURAL
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 0.9 NC
- Inside Edition (CTD) 3.0 +3%
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 2.8 -3%
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.2 NC
- Access (NBCU) 1.1 -8%
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 1.0 NC
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.7 NC
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.2 NC
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.8* +2%
- Modern Family (20th Television) 2.1 NC
- Last Man Standing (20th Television) 2.1 NC
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.7* +6%
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.4 NC
- Family Guy (20th Television) 1.3 +8%
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Black-ish (Disney-ABC) 1.1 NC
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Mom (WBDTD) 1.0 +11%
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.5 NC
- NCIS: New Orleans (CTD) 1.4 NC
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 1.3* +8%
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.2 -14%
- American Ninja Warrior (NBCU) 1.2* +33%
- Madam Secretary (CTD) 1.1 NC
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.1 +10%