In the week ending Nov. 18, a majority of shows in most genres of first-run syndication show ratings gains from the previous session.
Amid shorter days and colder weather most of syndication surged in the session ending Nov. 18, which included the third full week of the November sweep. Magazines were especially hot, with every show in the top seven matching or exceeding its season high, and several leaping by double digits.
Entertainment Tonight took off with an 18% spike to a new season high 3.3 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating, its best numbers in 34 weeks.
Inside Edition rose 10% to a new season high 3.3, tying Entertainment Tonight. Access jumped 18% to a four-week high 1.3, tying TMZ, which climbed 8% to a 1.3.
Extra raced ahead 9% to a new season high 1.2, its strongest performance in 26 weeks.
Daily Mail TV grew 10% to a new season high 1.1, its biggest showing in 34 weeks.
Page Six TV scored its highest ratings of the season in top markets New York and Los Angeles, jumping 33% and 16%, respectively, over its prior four-week averages, while holding its ground at a 0.7 nationally.
Elsewhere in access, Family Feud continued to lead the game shows, gaining 6% to a new season high 6.6.
In daytime, Dr. Phil outperformed a lively group of talkers for the 115th week in a row with a 7% improvement to a new season high 3.2, its greatest rating in 25 weeks.
Ellen DeGeneres advanced 4% to a new season high 2.4, which was just ahead of Live with Kelly and Ryan, which shot up 10% to a 2.3.
Fourth place in talk ended in a three-way tie. Steve Harvey’s Steve spiked 17% among women 25-54 and strengthened 8% among households to a new season high 1.4, its best showing in 40 weeks. That equaled Wendy Williams in households, which also picked up 8% to a new season high 1.4, and Maury, which was unchanged at a 1.4.
Best of all was Judge Judy, which clocked a new season high 7.7, its most powerful score in 40 weeks, leading all of syndication in households for the 16th week in a row. In addition, Hot Bench, created by Judy Sheindlin, swelled 9% to a new season-high 2.5 and ranked as the No. 3 show in daytime.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows among women 25-54 were:
- Dr. Phil (1.4, +8% from the week before)
- Ellen DeGeneres (1.2, +20%)
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (1.1, +22%)
- Maury (0.9, unchanged), tied with Wendy Williams (0.9, +13%)
- Steve (0.7 +17%), tied with Steve Wilkos (0.7, unchanged)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 3.2* +7%
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 2.4* +4%
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.3 +10%
- Steve (NBCU) 1.4* +8%
- Maury (NBCU) 1.4 NC
- Wendy Williams (Debmar-Mercury) 1.4* +8%
- Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.2* +9%
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 1.2 NC
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 1.1 NC
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.7 NC
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.6 +20%
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 0.4 NC
- Pickler & Ben (Disney-ABC) 0.4 NC
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Face the Truth (CTD) 0.8 NC
- Caught in Providence (20th Television) 0.6 NC
- Judge Judy (CTD) 7.7* +3%
- Hot Bench(CTD) 2.5* +9%
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.6* +7%
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 1.1* +10%
- Divorce Court (20th Television) 0.8 NC
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 6.6* +6%
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 6.4* +5%
- Jeopardy (CTD) 6.4* +7%
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.7* +13%
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.5 NC
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.3 +8%
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.3 NC
- Live PD: Police Patrol (Sony) 1.1 NC
- True Crime Files (20th Television) 0.3 NC
SCRIPTED OFF-NET POLICE PROCEDURAL
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 0.9 NC
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 3.3* +18%
- Inside Edition (CTD) 3.3* +10%
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.3 +8%
- Access (NBCU) 1.3 +18%
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.2* +9%
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 1.1* +10%
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.7 NC
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.2 NC
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 5.0* +4%
- Modern Family (20th Television) 2.1 NC
- Last Man Standing (20th Television) 2.1 NC
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.6 -6%
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.5* +7%
- Family Guy (20th Television) 1.3 NC
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.2* +9%
- Black-ish (Disney-ABC) 1.2* +9%
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.1* +10%
- Mom (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.4 -3%
- NCIS: New Orleans (CTD) 1.6* +14%
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.3 +8%
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.1 NC
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 1.1 -15%
- Madam Secretary (CTD) 1.0 -9%