George H.W. Bush Coverage Saps Syndies
Syndication was hit with preemptions for the extensive memorial and state funeral for President George H.W. Bush and most shows declined in the session ending Dec. 9. However, several magazines bucked the downdraft.
Access grew 8% to a 1.3 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating, matching its season high and tying TMZ for the No. 3 spot in the category. TMZ also rose 8%.
Next in line, Extra rallied 10% to a 1.1 and moved up the magazine chart, jumping ahead of Daily Mail TV. Meanwhile, Page Six TV stood its ground at a season high 0.7 despite plenty of preemptions.
At the top of the genre, Inside Edition and Entertainment Tonight each eased 3% to 3.0 and 2.9, respectively.
On the true crime beat, Dateline scored the biggest increase of any syndicated strip, leaping 18% to a 1.3, while surging 20% among women 25-54. In addition, off-net corporate sibling Chicago P.D. had a double-digit increase, spiking 11% in households to a 1.0 and matching its highest rating yet.
On the down side, Jeopardy, the winner of the previous round, dropped out of the top spot after losing 5% to a 6.1. Family Feud and Wheel of Fortune both edged 2% lower, but landed in a tie for the lead at a 6.2.
In daytime, the top nine talkfests all declined. Leader Dr. Phil, which had syndication’s biggest increase in the prior frame, dipped 7% to a 2.7 this time around, but finished first among talkers for the 118th straight week.
Ellen DeGeneres and Live with Kelly and Ryan both relinquished 4% to 2.3 and 2.2, respectively, although the two shows were tied in the key women 25-54 demo. Steve Harvey’s Steve and Maury each backed off 7% and rounded out the top five of the 14 talkers, tied at a fourth place 1.3.
Elsewhere, the high-flying Judge Judy came back to earth, descending 13% to a 6.6, but easily remained the highest-rated show in all of syndication for the 19th week in a row.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.1, -8% from the week before)
- Ellen DeGeneres (1.0, -9%), tied with Live with Kelly and Ryan (1.0, unchanged)
- Maury (0.8, -11%), tied with Wendy Williams (0.8, unchanged)
- Steve (0.6, unchanged), tied with Steve Wilkos (0.6, -14%)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 2.7 -7%
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 2.3 -4%
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.2 -4%
- Steve (NBCU) 1.3 -7%
- Maury (NBCU) 1.3 -7%
- Wendy Williams (Debmar-Mercury) 1.3 -7%
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 1.1 -8%
- Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.0 -9%
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 1.0 -9%
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.7 NC
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.5 -17%
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 0.4 NC
- Pickler & Ben (Disney-ABC) 0.3** -25%
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Face the Truth (CTD) 0.8 NC
- Caught in Providence (20th Television) 0.5 NC
- Judge Judy (CTD) 6.6 -13%
- Hot Bench(CTD) 2.3 -8%
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.5 +7%
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Divorce Court (20th Television) 0.7 NC
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 6.2 -2%
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 6.2 -2%
- Jeopardy (CTD) 6.1 -5%
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.5 -12%
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.5 NC
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.2 -8%
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.3 +18%
- Live PD: Police Patrol (Sony) 1.1 NC
- True Crime Files (20th Television) 0.3 NC
SCRIPTED OFF-NET POLICE PROCEDURAL
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 1.0 +11%
- Inside Edition (CTD) 3.0 -3%
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 2.9 -3%
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.3 +8%
- Access (NBCU) 1.3 +8%
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.1 +10%
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 1.0 -9%
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.7 NC
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.2 NC
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.6 -2%
- Last Man Standing (20th Television) 2.2 +5%
- Modern Family (20th Television) 1.9 -10%
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.6 NC
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.4 -7%
- Family Guy (20th Television) 1.4 +88%
- Black-ish (Disney-ABC) 1.2 NC
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.1 -8%
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Seinfeld (Sony) 0.9 -10%
- Mom (WBDTD) 0.9 NC
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.4 +3%
- NCIS: New Orleans (CTD) 1.5 -6%
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.4 NC
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.2 +20%
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 1.1 -8%
- Rizzoli & Isles (WBDTD) 1.0 NC