Penny Marshall Coverage Helps Magazines
As expected, much of syndication declined in the week before Christmas as many viewers opted for holiday preparations and last-minute shopping in the session ending Dec. 23.
However, several of the big entertainment magazines managed to stand their ground thanks, in part, to coverage of the life and death of beloved actress and acclaimed director Penny Marshall.
For example, Access maintained its season-high 1.3 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating for a third straight week, while Extra, Daily Mail TV and Page Six TV also did well to hold steady at 1.1, 1.0 and 0.7, respectively.
Leading the show biz magazines, Entertainment Tonight eased 3% to a 2.9.
One of the very few category toppers able to improve was the No. 1 true crime strip Dateline, which collared an 8% increase to a four-week high 1.4 in households, and shot up 17% in the key women 25-54 demo.
In daytime, Dr. Phil continued to manhandle the talk shows, finishing first in the genre for the 120th week in a row despite a 3% dip to a 2.9.
Live with Kelly and Ryan jumped ahead of Ellen DeGeneres and took over second place with a 2.2 even though it backed off 4% from its season-high level in the prior frame. Ellen declined 17% to a third-place 1.9.
Also in talk’s highest tier were Maury and Steve Harvey’s Steve, which both stood fast at 1.4 and 1.3, respectively, and Wendy Williams, which slipped 7% to a 1.3.
Judge Judy, which raced ahead by double digits in the previous session, aired several reruns and took a 5 breather to a still-lofty 7.0, remaining syndication’s undisputed household rating champ for the 21st straight week.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.2, -8% from the week before)
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (1.0, unchanged)
- Ellen DeGeneres (0.8, -20%), tied with Maury (0.8, unchanged)
- Wendy Williams (0.7, -13%)
- Steve (0.6, unchanged), tied with Steve Wilkos (0.6, -14%)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 2.9 -3%
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.2 -4%
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 1.9 -17%
- Maury (NBCU) 1.4 NC
- Steve (NBCU) 1.3 NC
- Wendy Williams (Debmar-Mercury) 1.3 -7%
- Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.1 NC
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 1.1 -8%
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 1.0 NC
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.7 NC
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.6 NC
- Pickler & Ben (Disney-ABC) 0.4 -20%
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 0.4 NC
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Face the Truth (CTD) 0.8 NC
- Caught in Providence (20th Television) 0.5 -17%
- Judge Judy (CTD) 7.0 -5%
- Hot Bench(CTD) 2.3 -4%
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.4 NC
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Divorce Court (20th Television) 0.7 NC
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 6.4 NC
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 6.2 -2%
- Jeopardy (CTD) 6.2 NC
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.6 NC
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.5 NC
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.2 -8%
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.4 +8%
- Live PD: Police Patrol (Sony) 1.1 -15%
- True Crime Files (20th Television) 0.3 NC
SCRIPTED OFF-NET POLICE PROCEDURAL
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 1.0 NC
- Inside Edition (CTD) 3.0 -3%
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 2.9 -3%
- Access (NBCU) 1.3 NC
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.2 -8%
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 1.0 NC
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.7 NC
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.2 NC
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.6 +2%
- Last Man Standing (20th Television) 2.2 -21%
- Modern Family (20th Television) 1.9 -5%
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.5 -6%
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.4 -7%
- Family Guy (20th Television) 1.3 -7%
- Black-ish (Disney-ABC) 1.2 NC
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Seinfeld (Sony) 0.9 -10%
- Mom (WBDTD) 0.9 NC
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.4 +6%
- NCIS: New Orleans (CTD) 1.3 -13%
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.3 +8%
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.2 NC
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 1.2 +9%
- American Ninja Warrior (NBCU) 1.1 +10%