Christmas Cheer For Off-Net, Coal For First-Run
While many syndicated strips had the holiday blahs during Christmas week, several of the top off-net weekly hours received generous presents from Nielsen in the session ending Dec. 30.
Law & Order: Criminal Intent shot up 23% from the previous frame to a new season high 1.6 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating; American Ninja Warrior fought its way to a 36% increase, hitting a season-best 1.5; and the weekly version of Chicago P.D. soared 17% to a strongest-rating- ever 1.4.
Meanwhile, the weekly version of Dateline scored the genre’s highest rating, holding steady at a 3.4.
Also coming up big was the stripped version of Chicago P.D., which jumped 10% to a new series high 1.1 and surged 25% in the key women 25-54 demo.
One of the very few winners among the strips in first run — and the only talk show moving up — was Live with Kelly and Ryan, which rose 5% to a 2.3, matching its best ratings of the season even thought it was on tape for most of the week.
That tied usual leader Dr. Phil, which was completely in reruns and slipped 21% as it included the low-rated Christmas Day in its average.
Rounding out the top 5 in talk were Ellen DeGeneres, which declined 5% to a 1.8; Maury, and repeats of Steve Harvey’s Steve, at 1.4 and 1.2, respectively.
A two-week test run for Breakthrough with Dr. Steve Perry got out of the gate slowly on Jan. 7. The talk hopeful posted a 0.4 rating/1 share weighted metered market average, losing 43% of its lead-in and dropping 50% from its year-ago time periods.
In other metered market news, several entertainment magazines registered big rating increases with next-day coverage of Sunday Golden Globe Awards on Jan. 7. For example, Monday’s overnight ratings for Access soared 36% from last year’s January time period average and rocketed 58% from the previous Monday to a 1.9/4.
Extra grew 15% over the year-ago time period and 25% week to week to a 1.5/4; and Page Six TV rose by double digits over last year in the top markets with gains of 13% in New York and 50% in Los Angeles. Entertainment Tonight also had a strong showing, climbing 17% over the time period to a 2.8/5, which led the group.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.0, -17% from the week before), tied with Live with Kelly and Ryan (1.0, unchanged)
- Ellen DeGeneres (0.8, unchanged), tied with Maury (0.8, unchanged)
- Steve (0.6 unchanged), tied with Wendy Williams (0.6, -14%) and Steve Wilkos (0.6, unchanged)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
1.Dr. Phil (CTD) 2.3 -21%
2. Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.3 +5%
3. Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 1.8 -5%
4. Maury (NBCU) 1.4 NC
5. Steve (NBCU) 1.2 -8%
6. Wendy Williams (Debmar-Mercury) 1.1 -15%
6. Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.1 NC
6. Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 1.1 NC
9. Dr. Oz (Sony) 0.9** -10%
10. The Real (WBDTD) 0.6 -14%
10. The Doctors (CTD) 0.6 NC
12. Pickler & Ben (Disney-ABC) 0.4 NC
12. Jerry Springer (NBCU) 0.4 NC
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Face the Truth (CTD) 0.7 -13%
- Caught in Providence (20th Television) 0.6 +20%
- Judge Judy (CTD) 6.0** -14%
- Hot Bench(CTD) 2.1 -9%
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.4 NC
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Divorce Court (20th Television) 0.7 NC
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 6.0 -6%
- Jeopardy (CTD) 5.5 -11%
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 5.4 -13%
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.6 NC
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.5 NC
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.1** -8%
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.2 -14%
- Live PD: Police Patrol (Sony) 1.2 +9%
- True Crime Files (20th Television) 0.3 NC
SCRIPTED OFF-NET POLICE PROCEDURAL
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 1.1* +10%
- Inside Edition (CTD) 2.7** -10%
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 2.3** -21%
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.1 -8%
- Access (NBCU) 1.0** -23%
- Extra (WBDTD) 0.9** -18%
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 0.8** -20%
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.6 -14%
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.2 NC
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.3 -7%
- Last Man Standing (20th Television) 2.2 NC
- Modern Family (20th Television) 1.9 NC
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.4 NC
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.4 -7%
- Family Guy (20th Television) 1.2 -8%
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.2 +9%
- Black-ish (Disney-ABC) 1.2 NC
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Seinfeld (Sony) 1.0 +11%
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.4 NC
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.6* +23%
- American Ninja Warrior (NBCU) 1.5* +36%
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 1.4* +17%
- NCIS: New Orleans (CTD) 1.4 +8%
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.2 NC