The session ending Jan. 6, the week leading up to the Golden Globes and the traditional beginning of the annual awards season, saw strong rating increases for the entertainment magazines despite preemptions for the big New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day festivities. Scoring double-digit week-to-week growth were: Entertainment Tonight, which climbed 22% to a […]
The session ending Jan. 6, the week leading up to the Golden Globes and the traditional beginning of the annual awards season, saw strong rating increases for the entertainment magazines despite preemptions for the big New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day festivities.
Scoring double-digit week-to-week growth were:
- Entertainment Tonight, which climbed 22% to a first-place 2.8 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating.
- Access, which uncorked a 20% rise to a 1.2.
- Extra, which saw an 11% pop to a 1.0 with a 25% surge in the women 25-54 demo.
- Daily Mail TV, which delivered a 13% spike to a 0.9 with a 33% leap in the demo.
Sophomore Page Six TV was also celebrating with a 60% improvement from the prior week in the important New York market on WNYW at 7 p.m.
In daytime, Dr. Phil, which was in repeats all week, held steady at 2.3 and landed in a tie with Live with Kelly and Ryan, which maintained its season-high 2.3 for a second straight week.
In third place, Ellen DeGeneres recovered 17% to a 2.1.
Rounding out the top shows in talk were: Maury, Steve Wilkos, an all-rerun week of Steve Harvey’s Steve, Wendy Williams and Rachael Ray at 1.4, 1.2, 1.1, 1.1 and 1.1, respectively.
Meanwhile, the first week of a two-week test run for talk show candidate Breakthrough with Dr. Steve Perry managed a 0.4 rating/1 share, slipping 50% from both its lead-in and year-ago time periods.
On the true crime beat, leader Dateline jumped 20% in the women 25-54 demo and held its ground at a first-place 1.2 in households.
At the top of the entire ratings chart, Judge Judy strengthened 8% to a 6.5 with five days of reruns, and easily led all of syndication for the 23rd week in a row.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.0, unchanged from the week before), tied with Live with Kelly and Ryan (1.0, unchanged)
- Ellen DeGeneres (0.9, +13%)
- Maury (0.8, unchanged)
- Steve Wilkos (0.7, +17%)
- Wendy Williams (0.6, unchanged)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 2.3 NC
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.3 NC
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 2.1 +17%
- Maury (NBCU) 1.4 NC
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 1.2 +9%
- Steve (NBCU) 1.1 -8%
- Wendy Williams (Debmar-Mercury) 1.1 NC
- Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.1 NC
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 1.0 +11%
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.6 NC
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.6 NC
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 0.4 NC
- Pickler & Ben (Disney-ABC) 0.4 NC
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Face the Truth (CTD) 0.7 NC
- Caught in Providence (20th Television) 0.7* +17%
- Judge Judy (CTD) 6.5 +8%
- Hot Bench(CTD) 2.2 +5%
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.4 NC
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Divorce Court (20th Television) 0.7 NC
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 6.0 NC
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 6.0 +11%
- Jeopardy (CTD) 5.8 +5%
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.6 NC
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.5 NC
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.2 +9%
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.2 NC
- Live PD: Police Patrol (Sony) 1.1 -8%
- True Crime Files (20th Television) 0.3 NC
SCRIPTED OFF-NET POLICE PROCEDURAL
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 1.0 -9%
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 2.8 +22%
- Inside Edition (CTD) 2.7 NC
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.2 +9%
- Access (NBCU) 1.2 +20%
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.0 +11%
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 0.9 +13%
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.6 NC
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.2 NC
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.4 +2%
- Modern Family (20th Television) 2.0 +5%
- Last Man Standing (20th Television) 2.0 -9%
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.5 +7%
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.3 -7%
- Family Guy (20th Television) 1.2 NC
- Black-ish (Disney-ABC) 1.2 NC
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.1 -8%
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Seinfeld (Sony) 0.9 -10%
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.6 +6%
- American Ninja Warrior (NBCU) 1.6* +7%
- NCIS: New Orleans (CTD) 1.5 +7%
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 1.4 NC
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.2 -25%
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.2 NC