Spanish-Language TV Shows, Films Now Streaming Free On Vizio
Vizio Inc. today announced the launch of 10 Spanish-speaking channels for its millions of SmartCast viewers across America. The channels include top-rated multicultural productions from around the world and popular shows dubbed into Spanish.
The new linear channels can be found under the “Vizio Free Channels” section from the SmartCast Home screen and will complement Vizio’s WatchFree service. In total, SmartCast viewers have access to more than 200 free linear TV channels of news, TV shows, movies and sports.
Ahead of National Hispanic Heritage Month which recognizes the contributions and influence of Hispanic Americans to the history, culture and achievements of the United States, these new channels cater to the Spanish-speaking community and offer free, ad-supported programming including comedies, game shows, telenovelas, action, dramas, thrillers and crime genres for viewers of all ages to enjoy.
“From multicultural original productions to popular shows dubbed in Spanish, today Vizio is making thousands of hours of Spanish-driven content available to all SmartCast users,” said Katherine Pond, Vizio VP of business development, “We’re thrilled to offer a 24/7 lineup of some of the best entertainment and programming options designed specifically for Spanish-speaking audiences.”
Effective immediately, users can find a carousel of Spanish language channels with free content available 24/7 from the SmartCast Home screen:
VIX is launching its market-leading VIX app, which offers 20,000-plus hours of free Latino-focused films and TV shows. VIX is the #1 most downloaded entertainment app on Android devices in Mexico ahead of Netflix (according to App Annie) and Top 5 or 10 in both US Hispanic and every country in Latin America on Roku. VIX will also be offering a lineup of movies for Hispanic Heritage Month in September which will include Windows on the World, starring Edward James Olmos, and Homebound, directed by Fanny Veliz. The free VIX app complements the company’s free Hispanic “super fan” linear channels on Vizio which include:
- Pongalo NovelaClub — this channel offers over 10,000 episodes of telenovelas and TV series — all in Spanish and on-demand.
- Moovimex —Mexican movies in genres including action, narcocine, sexy comedies and more.
Sony Pictures Television (SPT) recently announced the launch of Sony Canal, a new free, ad-supported television destination for Spanish speaking viewers in the US. Sony Canal is debuting its first Spanish language ad-supported streaming channels on Vizio SmartCast including:
- Sony Canal Novelas — dedicated to the world’s most popular classic telenovelas and modern serial dramas like Doña Bárbara, Paraíso Travel, Señorita Pólvora and more.
- Sony Canal Comedias — with an emphasis on comedies and dramedies, this channel brings viewers culturally-relevant modern remakes from Latin America, featuring TV’s most iconic sitcoms like Casados Con Hijos (Married with Children), La Niñera (The Nanny), Mi Bella Genio (I Dream of Jeannie) and more.
- Sony Canal Competencias — dedicated to the most exciting reality competition shows from Latin America, this channel keeps viewers on the edges of their seats as they watch reality contestants face challenges. The channel debuted with Escape Perfecto, the Mexican adaptation of the hit SPT format Raid the Cage.
Other channels launching include:
- Top Cine HD — featuring popular international contemporary series and film genres as crime, comedy, action and suspense dubbed from their original language to Spanish.
- Tu Cine HD — highlighting top-rated global contemporary and classical blockbuster series and movies including drama, comedy, and romance genres.
- Cine Real HD — contemporary movies and series including science fiction, fantasy, comedy, and action genres.
- Flash HD – featuring Latin music’s biggest stars and up-and-coming sensations, music videos, exclusive interviews, glamorous red-carpet events as well as exciting live performances.
- MMC HD — the first Regional Mexican music network in HD for the U.S. audience, created to embrace the Banda and Grupero lifestyle with chart-topping music videos and Flash features.
- Cine Sureño HD — featuring original content with the most relevant action, comedy, suspense, and drama stories.
“The US Hispanic audience is one of the most rapidly growing segments in the country, and we are pleased to make these ad-supported streaming channels available to them through Vizio SmartCast,” said TC Schultz, EVP, networks operations, programming and strategy, Sony Pictures Television. “With this partnership, we are excited to be able to provide a wide array of programming that appeals to this growing audience of multifaceted, Spanish-speaking viewers.”
“The launch of the VIX app on Vizio’s SmartCast platform builds upon the successful launch earlier this year of VIX’s linear channels on Vizio’s WatchFree,” said Richard Hull, head of streaming platforms and chief strategy officer at VIX. “Having just surpassed 20,000 hours of content in our offering, we’re excited to be able to launch this additional partnership for our audiences.”
In addition to free content, Vizio provides access to on-screen apps like Apple TV, Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, YouTubeTV, Peacock and others. It also includes support for Apple AirPlay 2 and Chromecast built-in, allowing viewers to stream, control, and share content from their phone, tablet, or laptop directly to the big screen.