Starting Nov. 8, Belo will broadcast ABC's 18-month-old multicast network in Dallas, St. Louis, New Orleans, Hampton-Norfolk, Va., and Charlotte, N.C. ABC also announced six new series for the network and a VP of programming. She is Peggy Allen, a one-time Lifetime exec.
Belo To Air ABC’s Live Well In Five Markets
Ever since ABC launched Live Well Network on its 10 O&Os last year, it has been shopping the lifestyle network to other station groups. Now it finally has a buyer: Belo.
ABC said the Dallas-based station group had agreed to add the network to subchannels on five of its major market stations: WFAA Dallas-Fort Worth, KMOV St. Louis, WWL New Orleans, WVEC Hampton-Norfolk, Va., and WCNC Charlotte, N.C.
The stations will begin airing the service Nov. 8.
“Given the enthusiastic response Live Well Network has received from TV viewers, Web users and advertisers in all 10 of our local markets over the past 18 months, the time is right to begin rolling out Live Well Network nationwide,” said Rebecca Campbell, president of the ABC Owned Stations Group.
“We’re especially pleased to have these five outstanding Belo stations as our first affiliate partners, given the commitment we all share to provide compelling original TV and Web content for today’s fast-emerging digital platforms.”
Kathy Clements, SVP/Media Operations, Belo Corp., commented: “We look forward to offering our viewers fresh programming on our digital channels focused on lifestyle, home and health topics, and we are excited to work closely with the ABC Owned Television Stations Group to cultivate this opportunity.”
In addition of the Belo deal, which ABC hopes will be the first of many, ABC announced the appointment of former Lifetime programmer Peggy Allen as VP of programming of the network and the addition of six new half-hour series:
- Custom Fit, produced by KABC Los Angeles, focuses on healthy living with topics ranging from dieting to workout routines. Popular on-air food and fitness coach Lori Corbin hosts.
- Good Cookin’ with Bruce Aidell, produced by KGO San Francisco, treats viewers to his innovative style that has won him fans as a chef, food commentator and best-selling author.
- Here’s How, Right Now, produced by WLS Chicago, brings Joel Schmarge (HGTV’s The Fix and Gimme Shelter) to Live Well. Schmarge leads viewers through household projects not needing a contractor, plumber or an electrician.
- Laurie McKenzie’s Traveler, produced by Associated Television International, takes Live Well audiences to some of the world’s most sought-after destinations, ranging from Caribbean oases to ancient ruins. Globetrotting travel connoisseur Laura McKenzie is the expert guide.
- OTRC: On the Red Carpet, produced by KABC Los Angeles, spotlights celebrity life and style. Co-hosts Rachel Smith and Chris Balish take viewers to red carpet events and share entertainment headlines, gossip and more.
- Treasure Hunters Roadshow, produced by Entertainment Concepts International, follows Andy St. Clair as he uncovers eclectic collectors’ items.