Most shows in syndication were flat or down in the week ending April 22. Coverage of Dick Clark’s death boosted Entertainment Tonight’s numbers, however.
Syndication ratings were in the spring doldrums in the week ending April 22, the last week before the important May sweeps, as unusually warm weather covered most of the U.S. However, extensive coverage of the life and sudden death of television legend Dick Clark on April 18 helped Entertainment Tonight (CTD) buck the downtrend.
The definitive No. 1 magazine led the genre for the 822nd consecutive week and was the only show in the category to improve from the prior session. ET advanced 3% to a 3.6, hitting its highest rating since the week of March 19.
On the other hand, all the other mags were down or flat week to week. Inside Edition (CTD) was stalled at a second-place 3.0; TMZ (WBDTD) fell 5% to a 1.9; Access Hollywood (NBCU) was also off 5% to a 1.8; The Insider (CTD) held steady at a 1.5; and Extra (WBDTD) gave back 13% to a 1.4 after being preempted in five of the top 40 markets.
In daytime, Dr. Phil (CTD) celebrated its 25th week as the No. 1 talk show, despite dipping 7% from the week before to a 2.8. Dr. Oz (Sony) was flat at a 2.6; Live with Kelly (Disney-ABC) suffered the biggest loss of any talker, sinking 12% to a new season low 2.3; Maury (NBCU) remained at a 2.3; and Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) eroded 5% to a 2.1.
Anderson (WBDTD) was the rookie champ for the 32nd week in a row, holding firm at a 1.4. Jeremy Kyle (Debmar-Mercury) rebounded 20% to a 0.6; while We the People with Gloria Allred (Entertainment Studios) was flat at a 0.4. In latenight, the recently renewed Excused (CTD) maintained its 0.6 rating.
Judge Judy (CTD) continued to rule all of first-run syndication with a 6.6, ticking down 1% week to week. No. 2 courtroom Judge Joe Brown (CTD) was unchanged at a 2.6; People’s Court (WBDTD) was flat at a 1.9; Judge Alex (Twentieth) gained 14% to a 1.6; while Judge Mathis (WBDTD) stayed at a 1.4.
Among game shows, Wheel of Fortune (CTD) skidded 2% to a 6.5 and was second to Judge Judy overall in first run. Jeopardy (CTD) inched up 2% to a 5.6; Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury) was flat at a 2.9; while Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) devalued 4% to a 2.5.
Off-net sitcom topper Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) imploded 6% to a 6.7; Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) retreated 3% to a 5.6; Family Guy (Twentieth) faded 5% to a 4.1; How I Met Your Mother (Twentieth) moved up 11% to a 3.0; Seinfeld (Sony) added 4% to a 2.5; while Everybody Loves Raymond (CTD) retreated 4% to a 2.3, tying King of the Hill (Twentieth), which was flat at a 2.3.
30 Rock (NBCU) was the second-highest rated off-net newcomer after Big Bang, with a 8% gain to a 1.3 in late fringe. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (Twentieth) was unchanged at a 1.2; while Till Death (Sony) revived 20% to a 0.6.
Off-Net Weekly Hours
Criminal Minds (CTD) paced the off-net weekly hours, although it was down 6% to a 3.0. Law & Order (NBCU) was right behind, picking up 4% to a 2.9; Monk (NBCU) moved 11% lower to a 2.4; Without a Trace (WBDTD) erased 13% of its ratings to a 2.1; while Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (NBCU) jumped 18% to a 2.0, tying The Closer (WBDTD) which slumped 13% to a 2.0.