Univision station is most-watched among 18-34, 18-49 and 25-54 demos for four consecutive ratings periods.
A study of the 2006 New York TV ratings reveals that the 6 p.m. Saturday local news on Univision-owned WXTV is the most watched early-evening local news program among the key audience groups, adults aged 18 to 34, 18 to 49 and 25 to 54 years old.
According to Nielsen Station Index (NSI) Local People Meter (LPM) ratings, the 6 p.m. Saturday Noticias Univision 41 (Univision 41 News) has been New York’s top-rated Saturday early news program since May 2006—four consecutive ratings periods—the longest winning streak in the history of Spanish-language TV in New York, according to the station. That streak includes two sweep periods (May and July 2006) as well as two non-sweep ratings periods, June and August 2006.
During the just-completed August 2006 (July 27-Aug. 23) ratings survey, for example, the 6 p.m. Saturday Noticias Univision 41 was seen by an average of 37,000 persons aged 18-34 (0.8/5 NSI rating/share), 81,000 persons aged 18-49 (0.9/5 NSI rating/share) and 81,000 persons aged 25-54 (0.9/5). Spanish-language Telemundo’s WNJU and Disney-ABC’s WABC tied for second place among 18-34s with an average of 25,000 viewers in August. CBS-owned WCBS placed second among 18-49s and 25-54s with 65,000 and 71,000 viewers, respectively. Typically on a Saturday, the 6 p.m. Noticias Univision 41 competes with local news programs on Telemundo, Fox, CBS, ABC and NBC in the country’s No. 1 market which is barely 20% Hispanic. Two Spanish-language TV news programs compete for that 20%, while the remaining 80% is fought over by four English-language TV news programs.