NBCU’S Dallas Studios Get Green Recognition
NBCUniversal’s state-of-the art broadcast and multimedia facility — The Studios at DFW — which is located in Fort Worth’s CentrePort Business Park and houses NBC- and Telemundo-owned KXAS and KXTX, has been awarded a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver New Construction certification by the U.S. Green Building Council.
The Studios at DFW, a 75,000-square-foot building situated on eight acres, opened in October 2013 and is the only LEED certified broadcast facility in Dallas-Fort Worth and one of only a few such broadcast facilities in the country.
The Studios at DFW include numerous elements that helped qualify the facility for LEED Silver New Construction certification, including:
- More than a quarter of the total building materials used in construction, by volume, were from recycled material.
- A white roof reduces building island heating effect and lowers heat load on the structure.
- Water use reduction strategies include a native, drought tolerant landscape, which reduces water usage by 36%.
- Energy management strategies result in a reduction of energy use by 28%.
- Nearly 80% of construction waste generated from the project was recycled and diverted from landfills.
- 70% of ongoing energy procurement will meet the “Green-e” definition for renewable power.
- An interior design that maximizes natural light and open space, featuring north facing clerestory windows and glass front offices.
- The development and implementation of a Green Education Program featuring an LEED instructional video for employees in addition to a locally led ergonomics program.
“NBCUniversal, our parent company, has made a commitment to sustainability with its ‘Green is Universal’ program, said Tom Ehlmann, KXAS president-GM. “We’re proud to carry this mission forward while serving our viewers across North Texas.”
LEED is a green building certification program led by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) that recognizes best-in-class building strategies and practices. USGBC’s mission is to improve the way buildings are designed, built and operated to encourage environmental and social responsibility. The program is designed to raise the quality of life for building occupants and the community.
KXAS partnered with several companies to make the facility a reality, including KDC Real Estate Development & Investments, Adolfson & Peterson Construction, Corgan, TI Broadcast Solutions Group, Business Interiors and Cushman & Wakefield.