The urge to merge remains strong among TV station groups as evidenced by the changes in our annual Top 30 ranking published on Wednesday. And you should expect more changes on next year’s chart, despite the FCC’s meddlesome ownership rules.
As a result of its merger with Media General, Nexstar Broadcasting moves up 10 spots and is now No. 3 on TVNewsCheck‘s 2016 station group ranking behind Fox and CBS. Gray’s acquisition of Schurz moved it up to No. 13, Nexstar’s old spot. Together, the two deals changed the rank of 21 groups and opened the door to two newcomers.
1. FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, New York 2015 Revenue: $1.646 billion Stations: 28 in 17 markets Coverage: 37.2% Ownership: 21st Century Fox (Nasdaq: FOXA) Key Executives: Rupert Murdoch, executive chairman, 21st Century Fox; Lachlan K. Murdoch, executive chairman, 21st Century Fox; James Murdoch, CEO, 21st Century Fox; Chase Carey, executive vice chairman, 21st Century Fox; Roger Ailes, chairman-CEO, Fox […]
2. CBS TELEVISION STATIONS, New York 2015 Spot Revenue: $1.570 billion Stations: 29 in 17 markets Coverage: 38.1% Ownership: CBS Corp. (NYSE: CBS) Key Executives: Leslie Moonves, chairman, president-CEO, CBS Corp.; Peter Dunn, president, CBS Television Stations; Jim Sullivan, president, sales, CBS Television Stations.; Adam Wiener, EVP-GM, CBS Local Digital Media.
3. NEXSTAR BROADCASTING GROUP, Dallas 2015 Spot Revenue: $1.421 billion Stations: 171 in 100 markets Coverage: 39% Ownership: Nexstar Broadcasting Group Inc. (NASDAQ: NXST) Key Executives: Perry A. Sook, chairman-president-CEO; Timothy Busch, EVP/co-COO; Brian Jones, EVP-co-COO; Tom Carter, EVP-CFO; Tom O’Brien, EVP digital media and chief revenue officer. What’s Up: The past year was a busy one for Nexstar. Not […]
4. SINCLAIR BROADCAST GROUP, Baltimore 2015 Spot Revenue: $1.4 billion Stations: 169 in 83 markets Coverage: 38.6% Ownership: Sinclair Broadcasting Group Inc. (Nasdaq: SBGI) Key Executives: David Smith, president-CEO, Sinclair Broadcast Group; David Amy, EVP-COO; Christopher Ripley, CFO; Barry Faber, EVP-general counsel; Steven M. Marks, VP/co-COO, Sinclair Television Group; Stephen J. Pruett, VP/co-COO, Sinclair Television Group. What’s […]
5. NBCUNIVERSAL OWNED TELEVISION STATIONS, New York 2015 Spot Revenue: $1.289 billion Stations: 28 in 20 markets (includes Telemundo stations) Coverage: 36.7% Ownership: Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA) Key Executives: Brian Roberts, chairman-CEO, Comcast Corp.; Steve Burke, CEO, NBCUniversal, and EVP, Comcast Corp.; Ted Harbert, chairman, NBC Broadcasting; Valari Staab, president, NBCUniversal Owned Television Stations; Manuel Martinez, president, Telemundo Station Group.
6. TEGNA, McLean, Va. 2015 Revenue: $1.276 billion Stations: 48 in 36 markets Coverage: 32% Ownership: Tegna Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) Key Executives: Gracia Martore, president-CEO, Tegna Inc.; David Lougee, president, Tegna Media; John A. Williams, president, Tegna Digital. What’s Up: Gannett completed the split of its broadcasting and print operations in June 2015, and renamed the non-print company Tegna Inc. […]
7. TRIBUNE MEDIA, Chicago 2015 Spot Revenue: $1.209 billion Stations: 54 stations in 34 markets Coverage: 43.7% Ownership: Tribune Media Co. (NYSE:TRCO) Key Executives: Bruce Karsh, chairman, Tribune Media, and president/co-founder of Oaktree Capital Management; Peter Liguori, president-CEO, Tribune Media; Larry Wert, president, broadcast media; Dana Zimmer, president, distribution, Tribune Broadcasting. What’s Up: In March, Tribune announced it had hired […]
8. ABC OWNED TELEVISION STATIONS, Los Angeles 2015 Spot Revenue: $1.064 billion Stations: 8 stations in 8 markets Coverage: 22.5% Ownership: The Walt Disney Co. (Public: NYSE: DIS) Key Executives: Robert Iger, chairman-CEO, Disney; Ben Sherwood, co-chair, Disney Media Networks and president, Disney/ABC Television Group; Rebecca Campbell, president, ABC Owned Television Station Group and ABC Daytime. What’s Up: The ABC […]
9. HEARST TELEVISION, New York 2015 Spot Revenue: $747.1 million Stations: 34 in 27 markets Coverage: 18.6% Ownership: Hearst Corp. (private) Key Executives: Steven Swartz, president-CEO, Hearst Corp.; Jordan Wertlieb, president, Hearst Television; Frank Biancuzzo, SVP, Hearst Television; John Drain, SVP/finance, Hearst Television; Michael J. Hayes, SVP, Hearst Television; Roger Keating, SVP, Hearst Television. What’s Up: In June 2015, Hearst […]
10. RAYCOM MEDIA, Montgomery, Ala. 2015 Spot Revenue: $746.4 million Stations: 62 in 42 markets Coverage: 14% Ownership: Employee owned Key Executives: Paul McTear, president-CEO; Pat LaPlatney, COO; Susana Schuler, EVP; Warren Spector, CFO; Jeff Rosser, group VP; Brad Streit, group VP; Don Richards, group VP; Sandy Breland group VP; Nick Simonette, group VP; Joe Fiveash, SVP; David Burke,VP. What’s Up: A big change is […]
11. UNIVISION COMMUNICATIONS, New York 2015 Spot Revenue: $714.5 million Stations: 59 in 25 markets Coverage: 44.1% Ownership: Univision Holdings Inc., an investor group including Madison Dearborn Partners, Providence Equity Partners, TPG Capital, Thomas H. Lee Partners and Saban Capital Group. Key Executives: Randy Falco, president-CEO, Univision Communications; Tonia O’Connor, chief commercial officer/president of content distribution; John Eck, chief local media officer and EVP of technology, […]
12. E.W. SCRIPPS, Cincinnati 2015 Spot Revenue: $617.4 million Stations: 36 in 24 markets Coverage: 18.1% Ownership: E.W. Scripps Co. (NYSE: SSP) Key Executives: Richard A. Boehne, chairman, president and CEO, E.W. Scripps Co.; Brian Lawlor, SVP, broadcast; Adam Symson, SVP, digital. What’s Up: Last December, Scripps named Chip Mahaney national news recruiting director, tasked with hiring news directors, assistant […]
13. GRAY TELEVISION, Atlanta 2015 Spot Revenue: $535.3 million Stations: 107 in 52 markets Coverage: 9.6% Ownership: Gray Television Inc. (NYSE: GTN) Key Executives: Hilton Howell, president-CEO/vice chairman; Kevin Latek, EVP/chief legal and development officer; James Ryan, EVP/chief financial officer; Bob Smith, EVP/co-COO; Nick Waller, EVP/co-CEO; Jason Effinger, EVP/chief digital and technology officer. What’s Up: Gray has been busy in […]
14. COX MEDIA GROUP, Atlanta 2015 Spot Revenue: $510.4 million Stations: 15 in 11 markets Coverage: 11.1% Ownership: Cox Enterprises (private) Key Executives: John M. Dyer, president-CEO, Cox Enterprises; Bill Hoffman, president, Cox Media Group; Jane Williams, EVP, television; Kim Guthrie, EVP of national ad platforms/president of CoxReps; Mike Joseph, EVP of newspapers; Marian Pittman, EVP of digital strategy and […]
15. MEREDITH CORP., Des Moines, Iowa 2015 Spot Revenue: $403.4 million Stations: 28 in 12 markets Coverage: 10.7% Ownership: Meredith Corp. (NYSE: MDP) Key Executives: Stephen M. Lacy, chairman-CEO; Paul Karpowicz, president, Meredith Local Media Group. What’s Up: It’s been an eventful 12 months for Meredith. Last September it was announced that Media General would buy Meredith for $2.4 billion. […]
16. GRAHAM MEDIA GROUP, Washington 2015 Revenue: $264.1 million Stations: 5 in 5 markets Coverage: 6.4% Ownership: Graham Holdings Co. (NYSE: GHC) Key Executives: Timothy J. O’Shaughnessy, president-CEO, Graham Holdings Co.; Emily L. Barr, president-CEO, Graham Media Group. What’s Up: Last November, Timothy O’Shaughnessy was promoted to president-CEO of Graham Media parent, Graham Holdings, succeeding Donald E. Graham who had […]
17. SUNBEAM TELEVISION, Miami 2015 Revenue: $207.1 million Stations: 3 in 2 markets Coverage: 3.5% Ownership: Ed Ansin Key Executives: Ed Ansin, president; Chris Wayland, EVP-GM What’s Up: At the beginning of this year, NBC decided to launch its own station in Boston on Jan. 1, 2017, when NBC’s current affiliation with WHDH, owned by Ed Ansin’s Sunbeam Television, is […]
18. ENTRAVISION, Los Angeles 2015 Spot Revenue: $128.2 million Stations: 58 in 24 markets Coverage: 13.9% Ownership: Entravision Communications Corp. (NYSE: EVC) Key Executives: Walter F. Ulloa, chairman-CEO; Christopher T. Young, EVP-CFO-treasurer; Jeffery A. Liberman, COO; Mario M. Carrera, chief revenue officer.
19. CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS, St. Paul, Minn. 2015 Spot Revenue: $119.5 million Stations: 22 in 12 markets Coverage: 2.1% Ownership: Evening Post Industries (private) Key Executives: John Barnwell, president-CEO, Evening Post Industries; Terry Hurley, president; Cordillera; Sean Franklin, VP of engineering and technology; Steve Chase, VP-director of sales; Bo Ebeling, director of operations; Jay Small, president, Informed Interactive.
20. HUBBARD BROADCASTING, St. Paul, Minn. 2015 Spot Revenue: $112 million Stations: 13 in 6 markets Coverage: 3.3% Ownership: Hubbard family Key Executives: Stanley S. Hubbard, chairman; Rob Hubbard, president, Hubbard Television Group. What’s Up: Last August, Former Petry Television CEO Val Napolitano became EVP of programmatic for the Hubbard Television Group.
21. QUINCY MEDIA, Quincy, Ill. 2015 Spot Revenue: $107 million Stations: 18 in 14 markets Coverage: 2.6% Ownership: Private Key Executives: Ralph M. Oakley, president-CEO; Dennis Kendall, director of broadcast news; Dan Batchelor, director of broadcast and interactive sales; Mary Oakley Winters, VP-interactive; Brady Dreasler, director of capital, facilities and engineering. What’s Up: Last November, Quincy […]
22. ION MEDIA NETWORKS, West Palm Beach, Fla. 2015 Revenue: $91.3 million Stations: 60 stations in 55 markets Coverage: 65.2% Ownership: Private Key Executives: Brandon Burgess, chairman-CEO.
23. DISPATCH BROADCAST GROUP, Columbus, Ohio 2015 Revenue: $87.9 million Stations: 2 stations in 2 markets Coverage: 1.8% Ownership: Private Key Executives: Michael J. Fiorile, vice chairman-CEO; John Cardenas, VP of news and president-GM, WBNS Columbus, Ohio; Larry Delia, president-GM, WTHR Indianapolis.
24. WEIGEL BROADCASTING, Chicago 2015 Spot Revenue: $83 million Stations: 11 in 4 markets Coverage: 3.8% Ownership: Private Key Executives: Norman Shapiro, chairman; Neal Sabin, vice chairman; Steven Farber, SVP of broadcast operations; Jim Hall, VP of business development; Kyle Walker, VP of technology; Molly Kelly, corporate director of media strategy.
25. GRIFFIN COMMUNICATIONS, Oklahoma City 2015 Spot Revenue: $73.2 million Stations: 4 in 2 markets Coverage: 1.1% Ownership: Private (David, Kristen and John Griffin) Key Executives: David Griffin, chairman-CEO; Ted Strickland, VP-CFO; Rob Krier, VP-COO; Trevor Wiseman, VP of technology; Kevin Fullbright, VP of new media.
26. BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY, Omaha, Neb. 2015 Revenue: $69.5 million Stations: 1 station Coverage: 1.4% Ownership: Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (NYSE: BRK.A) Key Executives: Warren Buffett, chairman-president-CEO; Charlie Munger, vice chairman.
27. CAPITOL BROADCASTING, Raleigh, N.C. 2015 Revenue: $67 million Stations: 3 in 2 markets Coverage: 1.2% Ownership: Private Key Executives: James F. Goodmon, president-CEO; Daniel P. McGrath, VP-treasurer; James F. Goodmon Jr., VP-GM of new media group. What’s Up: The big news at Capitol Broadcasting came at the beginning of the year when its WRAL Raleigh, N.C., and CBS failed […]
28. NEWS-PRESS & GAZETTE, St. Joseph, Mo. 2015 Spot Revenue: $66.7 million Stations: 39 in 11 markets Coverage: 1.6% Ownership: Private (Bradley family) Key Executives: David Bradley, chairman-CEO; Brian Bradley, president; Mike Meara, president, NPG Broadcast; Tony Courtwright, director of digital media.
30. INTERMEDIA PARTNERS, New York 2015 Revenue: $51.9 million Stations: 1 in 1 market (WAPA San Juan) Ownership: Private equity investment fund Key Executives: Leo Hindery Jr., managing partner; Peter Kern, managing partner.