Brian Ross, the veteran ABC News investigative correspondent who embarrassed the network late last year with an on-air report suggesting former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn had been told by President Donald Trump to make contact with Russian officials during the 2016 campaign for the Oval Office, is leaving the network, along with Rhonda Schwartz, who served as the chief investigative producer for Ross’ team.
ABC News president James Goldston excoriated staff Monday over Brian Ross’ major error on a report about former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, and announced that Ross, the network’s chief investigative reporter, will no longer cover stories related to President Trump.
ABC News has suspended anchor Brian Ross for four weeks without pay following an on-air error the journalist made on Friday in which he reported that Donald Trump had instructed Michael Flynn to make contact with the Russians during the 2016 presidential campaign. “It is vital we get the story right and retain the trust we have built with our audience — these are our core principles. We fell far short of that [Friday],” the network said in a statement.
The network apologizes for erroneously linking the suspected Aurora, Colo., theater shooter to the Tea Party.