The FCC ruled unanimously Tuesday night that Dish Network CEO Charlie Ergen improperly bid on $12 billion worth of wireless spectrum back in 2015, and received a $3-plus billion discount through a government program designed to benefit small businesses. Ergen bid on the spectrum not through Dish Network, a massive satellite and soon-to-be 5G carrier, but through an outfit known as Northstar Wireless, which he has a stake in.
Slingbox has reached its endpoint, with Sling Media announcing that all Slingbox products and services were discontinued on Nov. 9, and will permanently be taken offline on Nov. 9, 2022. Sling Media, a subsidiary of Dish, said the decision is being made to “make room for new innovative products so that we can continue to serve our customers in the best way possible.” This will not include any new Slingbox products.
Net income rose to $505 million, or 86 cents a share, from $353 million, or 66 cents a share. Revenue rose 42% to $4.53 million. At a time when everyone’s talking about cord cutting, Dish said it closed the quarter with 11.42 million pay-TV subscribers, up 116,000.
On Tuesday night, Dish and Cox Media agreed to their fourth temporary carriage pact this month, allowing 18 stations to continue in the satcaster’s lineup. (The 18 are owned by Apollo Global Management, an equity firm, but they are managed by Cox Media.)
Charlie Ergen’s dream of merging his Dish Network with AT&T’s DirecTV has been squashed by the Department of Justice — yet again. Regulators with the DOJ’s antitrust division recently informed executives of AT&T that a marriage between DirecTV and Dish would likely have to wait until faster 5G wireless service is more widely available in rural markets, two sources close to the situation said.
Dish and Cox Media, which is owned by Apollo Global Management, have agreed to a second seven-day temporary agreement, ensuring that 18 Cox-managed stations stay in the satcaster’s lineup for now.
Dish and Cox Media have dodged a blackout bullet for 18 stations for at least a week. The stations earlier this week posted notices on their websites saying Dish subscribers could lose their signals at 7 p.m. ET on Oct. 1. But a new notice posted late Thursday night says the deadline for a new carriage agreement has been moved one week.
Dish, which is already involved in seven separate carriage disputes, could lose 18 more stations in 10 markets this week due to yet another fee fight.
E.W. Scripps released this statement Sunday: “Scripps has reached an agreement with Dish, and all Scripps stations are back on the air for Dish subscribers. We apologize for the disruption in service our viewers experienced and thank them for their loyalty and patience through this period.”
Verizon Media is expanding its omnichannel programmatic platform today, announcing an advanced TV partnership with Dish Media in which Verizon Media’s demand-side platform (DSP) will provide automated access to Dish’s household addressable ad inventory. The deal enables advertisers to access traditional linear channels alongside pure-play CTV/OTT media, including Sling TV, driving meaningful connection and monetization […]
Scripps says Dish is not being honest in their carriage dispute, and further alleges the satcaster is not motivated to settle because it’s making a profit from the blackout. Dish has been without Scripps’ 60 local network affiliates in 42 markets since July 25 when the two companies could not agree on a new carriage pact. The satellite service claims that Scripps is asking for excessive fees to carry its signals, a 250% increase over the previous rate. But in a statement released Monday, Scripps says Dish is not agreeing to a new deal because it does not have to pay the broadcaster during the blackout.
Combining the two fading satellite TV operations isn’t a matter of if but only when, Dish Network Chairman Charlie Ergen says.
The station group and satellite TV provider have failed to reach a new carriage deal, so Dish subscribers in 42 markets have lost access to Scripps stations.
Dish subscribers have been blacked out from watching Cox Media Group stations in 10 markets due to a retransmission consent dispute. The stations had been enjoined from interfering with Dish’s ability to retransmit the signals under an agreement reached before Apollo Global Management last year, according to Dish. The case moved from state court in Illinois to federal court, which dissolved the restraining order Wednesday.
As part of Dish Network’s $1.4 billion agreement last week to purchase around 9 million Boost-branded mobile customers from T-Mobile, the company also quietly said it would purchase billions of dollars of additional spectrum. The deal underscores the fact that Charlie Ergen — the chairman of Dish Network and a key architect of the company’s 5G strategy — ostensibly has an utterly inexhaustible desire for spectrum.
ViacomCBS said it reached a new multi-year renewal of its carriage agreement with Dish Network. The agreement keeps the ViacomCBS broadcast and cable networks on Dish and its Sling TV virtual multichannel video programming distributors. Financial terms were not disclosed.
Satellite TV company Dish Network says it has closed on its acquisition of the prepaid service Boost Mobile from T-Mobile, effectively making the pay-TV company the country’s fourth major mobile provider alongside Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile. Dish is now focusing its new investments on building out a 5G network as the satellite TV business continues to shrink.
Moody’s Investor Services downgraded Dish Network’s corporate family rating due to an overall need for capital to refinance and repay debt and deleverage the company as revenues shrink due to secular industry pressure on satellite and Sling TV.
Dish Network will let go of an undisclosed number of employees as the pay-TV giant looks to weather the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. A Dish spokesperson confirmed the layoffs to TheWrap, but did not elaborate on the number of employees or divisions impacted.
Charlie Ergen, the billionaire chairman and former CEO of Dish Network, took home $2.35 million in total pay for 2019, according to an SEC proxy filing issued on Friday. Ergen made $3.1 million for running the satellite TV service in 2018.
Cox said the move gives viewers access to important public health information during the COVID-19 crisis.
A week after Charlie Ergen lamented that Sinclair didn’t own the Fox RSNs when their contract expired with Dish, Sinclair offered further optimism. “We continue to have discussions with Dish for the carriage of the RSNs and remain confident that our two companies will eventually reach a mutually acceptable carriage agreement,” Sinclair President-CEO Chris Ripley said on the company’s 4Q earnings call.
AMC Networks today announced a comprehensive, long-term distribution agreement with Dish Network and Sling TV that includes continued carriage of AMC Networks’ linear channels AMC, BBC America, IFC, SundanceTV, WE tv and BBC World News, as well as the launch in the coming months of AMC Networks’ targeted SVOD services Acorn TV, Shudder, Sundance Now and Urban Movie Channel; AMC Networks’ ad-free offering AMC Premiere; and its IFC Films Unlimited streaming service.
Satellite TV provider Dish Network’s quarterly results beat Wall Street estimates on Wednesday, as it lost fewer pay TV subscribers. Dish has been struggling to retain subscribers for its pay-TV business, as customers shift to online streaming services including those from Netflix, Walt Disney Co. and Apple.
When Dish Network lost 18 Apollo Global-owned Cox Media Group stations on Jan 18 (formerly Northwest Broadcasting stations), it managed to keep 13 Cox Media Group stations from going dark on its lineup thanks to a temporary restraining order issued by Illinois state court. But in the latest turn of events, Cox is suing Dish for copyright infringement for the continued carriage of those stations, which include Atlanta’s WSB and Orlando’s WFOX.
Dish Network said that its subscribers lost access to the signal from stations bought by Apollo Global Management in 10 markets at 7 p.m. Saturday as retransmission consent negotiations failed. Apollo acquired the stations from Northwest Broadcasting last year.
Mission Broadcasting said its stations in 18 markets are no longer being carried by Dish Network because of a retransmission consent dispute. The stations were removed by Dish without warning Friday night, Mission said. The broadcaster said it had offered to extend its current agreement so viewers wouldn’t miss the beginning of the NFL playoff but Dish turned it down. Dish said the opposite happened, blaming Mission for the signals being pulled.
A+E Networks is looking to expand the scope of its targeted advertising capabilities in a deal with Dish and Adcuratio that will allow marketers to serve up spots with creative messages that can be tailored for specific households.
Dish’s Charlie Ergen said he has letters from three banks prepared to offer $10 billion to fund the company’s new wireless network as he appeared in federal court to testify in support of T-Mobile US’s purchase of rival Sprint.
Dish Network posted a better-than-expected quarterly profit on Thursday, as the satellite TV service provider surprised Wall Street by adding more pay TV subscribers. It increased its subs by 148,000 in the quarter, compared with analysts’ estimates for a loss of 166,000, according to research firm FactSet.
Fox-owned TV stations in 17 markets as well as FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network, Fox Soccer Plus and Fox Deportes have gone dark on Dish Network in the latest carriage dispute to throw a wrench into the pay-TV ecosystem. The dispute affects Dish’s 12 million satellite households as well as millions more who subscribe to the internet-delivered bundle Sling TV, in 23 states and Washington, D.C.
Dish Network’s chances of buying DirecTV could be about as remote as a satellite that’s orbiting the earth. That’s the take from sources close to Dish CEO Charlie Ergen, who say that in addition to regulatory stumbling blocks, the mercurial billionaire faces tough financial hurdles in acquiring his longtime rival.
AT&T, which paid $49 billion to acquire DirecTV in 2015, has faced increasing pressure from investors to get the satellite distributor on a more promising path. This week, the notion that the companies could part ways has gained currency.