The Writers Guild of America, East (WGAE) has condemned President Donald Trump’s latest attack on journalists, which he has long called the enemies of the people and allied with his Democratic opponents to bring down his Administration. WGAE’s more than 4,700 members include staffers in broadcast TV, radio and digital news.
Anchor Joe Donlon will sit down with the president at the White House and the interview will air on Tuesday starting at 8 p.m. ET. The network, which has promised to stick to facts, said it will run the interview in its entirety, with almost no editing.
The correspondent for the Fox Detroit O&O will ask the president about his COVID-19 response, masks, protests and more.
The saga of TikTok had everything: Ominous threats of surveillance. A forced fire sale. Threats of retaliation. Head-spinning deal terms that morphed by the hour. Dark horse bidders and a looming deadline. Now, as the dust settles on the weeks of drama over the social media app, investors and others are asking what it was all for. The answer? A cloud computing contract for the Silicon Valley business software company OracleT, a merchandising deal for Walmart and a claim of victory for President Trump.
The coziness between the TV executive and Donald Trump is a Frankenstein story for the cable news era. But then the monster got away.
Trump said the proposed deal between Oracle and Walmart will result in a new company likely to be based in Texas. “I have given the deal my blessing,” he said. “If they get it done, that’s great. If they don’t, that’s OK too.”
The Commerce Department said President Trump’s proposed ban of the apps WeChat and TikTok will go into effect Sunday, Sept. 20, to “safeguard the national security of the United States.” The order follows weeks of dealmaking over the video-sharing service TikTok. President Donald Trump has pressured the app’s Chinese owner to sell TikTok’s U.S. operations to a domestic company to satisfy U.S. concerns over TikTok’s data collection and related issues.
ABC News will present The President and the People, a 90-minute town hall with President Trump Tuesday night from 9 to 10:30 p.m. ET. George Stephanopoloswill moderate the 90-minute special—under the 20/20 banner—featuring Trump and voters ABC says are uncommitted.
Fearing a coming cash crunch, President Trump’s campaign has pulled back from television advertising over the last month, ceding to Democratic nominee Joe Biden a huge advantage in key states and sparking disagreements over strategy within the president’s senior team. Republican officials have been inundated with calls from worried activists and donors who complain about constant Biden ads in their local media markets, with very few paid Trump responses, according to people familiar with the conversations.
Ben Smith: President Trump will try to put the media on the ballot, and reporters face the increasing temptation to posture for those most eager to oust him.
President Trump said late Friday that he planned to reverse Pentagon budget cuts that would have permanently closed Stars and Stripes, the military newspaper that has both informed and spoken for American troops over the decades. The reversal came as the president was in full defensive mode over reports that he had disparaged military personnel.
Stars and Stripes, the military newspaper that has both informed and spoken for American troops over the decades, will cease print and online publication by the last day of September, expanding the Trump administration’s war on news media to include those paid by the government to cover the military. A group of senators said the Pentagon should find money in its huge budget to continue funding.
Having someone around to clean up any problematic comments is why Trump has given more interviews to Fox News than any other outlet as president.
Joe Simons has come under White House pressure for resisting the president’s fight against alleged political bias in social media.
ABC News will host a town hall with President Donald Trump and undecided voters on Sept. 15. George Stephanopoulos will anchor the event, which will take place in Philadelphia and will held in accordance with state and local government COVID-19 regulations and guidelines set by local health officials. The event will air at 9 p.m. ET on the network and ABC News Live.
The party is promising a more traditional in-person spectacle with President Trump speaking every night. Coming into this weekend, major TV networks had only a foggy idea of what to expect. Two producers of The Apprentice, where Trump rose to TV stardom, are involved in the planning. Sadoux Kim, a longtime deputy to Apprentice creator Mark Burnett, is a lead consultant on the production. Chuck LaBella, a former NBC entertainment executive who helped produce The Comedy Central Roast of Donald Trump, is also on the payroll.
President Trump’s reelection campaign and the Republican National Committee have spent more than $1 billion combined since the beginning of 2017, according to Federal Election Commission filings. Most of that spending — nearly $625 million — was spent since the beginning of the 2020 election cycle in 2019. By comparison, at this point in the 2012 election cycle, former President Obama’s campaign and the Democratic National Committee had spent about $481 million.
The administration said in a high-court filing Thursday that Trump’s @realdonaldtrump account with more than 85 million followers is his personal property and blocking people from it is akin to elected officials who refuse to allow their opponents’ yard signs on their front lawns.
Joe Biden’s presidential campaign is asking several TV stations in Pennsylvania to stop airing an ad from a pro-Trump Super PAC that the campaign says inacurately represents Biden’s position on fracking.
FCC Commissioner Michael O’Rielly saw his nomination withdrawn by President Trump for having the temerity to question whether the FCC has the authority to adopt rules to limit the scope of Section 230 of the Communications Act. All clear legal signs point to the fact that it doesn’t.
President Donald Trump ended his press conference on Saturday after being pressed by Paula Reid of CBS News on the claim that his administration passed the Veterans Choice health care law.
President Trump’s withdrawal of FCC Commissioner Michael O’Rielly’s nomination isn’t just a breathtaking punishment for a perceived lack of loyalty. It presages a potential Trump second-term FCC that would advance any of his desires and punish any FCC-regulated company he targets.
Michael Depp and Harry Jessell unpack the abrupt withdrawal of FCC Commissioner Michael O’Rielly’s renomination by President Trump this week and discuss the pandemic’s reckoning on broadcasters’ quarterly earnings.
The twin executive orders issued Thursday — one for each app — add to growing U.S.-Chinese conflict over technology and security. They take effect in 45 days and could bar the popular apps from the Apple and Google app stores, effectively removing them from U.S. distribution. China’s foreign ministry expressed opposition but gave no indication whether Beijing might retaliate.
Washington Post editorial: The president’s withdrawal of FCC Commissioner Michael O’Rielly’s renomination is a message to him, his fellow FCC commissioners and appointees across agencies of what happens when they dare to put the rule of law first, just as the president wants Twitter, and Facebook, and all influential companies on the Internet or off to know how carefully they must tread with him in charge. This is a flagrant assault on the First Amendment under the guise of defending it, and an assault on those who seek to defend the right of free expression.
The post in question featured a link to a Fox News video in which Trump says children are “virtually immune” to the virus. Facebook said Wednesday that the “video includes false claims that a group of people is immune from COVID-19 which is a violation of our policies around harmful COVID misinformation.”
Michael O’Rielly has done yeoman work as a member of the Federal Communications
Commission, but this week the White House abruptly pulled his renomination for another
five-year term. The decision speaks better of Mr. O’Rielly than of the president.
The White House said on Monday it was withdrawing the nomination of FCC commissioner Michael O’Rielly to serve another term. The announcement came less than a week after Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Jim Inhofe said he would block O’Rielly’s nomination over the five-member FCC’s unanimous decision to allow Ligado Networks to deploy a low-power nationwide mobile broadband network.
The media offensive slamming Joe Biden comes after the president’s campaign went dark on television airwaves last week amid a reevaluation of advertising strategy.
The FCC has put out for public comment the Trump Administration’s request that it come up with a regime for regulating social media and other website content to prevent what the president claims is anti-conservative bias.
President Donald Trump’s campaign has canceled a series of advertisement buys over the next few days as they review their messaging strategy, a senior campaign official told CNN. The decision comes after the campaign demoted former campaign manager Brad Parscale and elevated current campaign manager Bill Stepien. The move to promote Stepien and demote Parscale took place on July 15, a little more than two weeks ago.
Sinclair has repeatedly defended the independence and objectivity of the local news reporting that is carried on its many stations. But its nationally distributed news and commentary programs, produced in Washington has stayed largely faithful to President Trump’s pronouncements about the virus. Above, Sinclair TV hosts Sharyl Attkisson and Eric Bolling.
The president has started spending more money on ads in much smaller Electoral College prizes like Iowa and Nevada, and in recent days his campaign stopped buying ads in Michigan entirely. The president faces several troubles in Michigan, including reduced support among less educated white voters and motivated Black voters in the state’s cities.
“It’s a different world, and it will be for a little while,” Trump said, explaining his decision. “To have a big convention is not the right time,” Trump added.