“LinkedIn has systematically inflated ad metrics in its favor, which has enabled it to overstate the quality of its audiences, the quality of its ad inventory, and the engagement from its audiences,” tech company TopDevz and recruiting platform Noirefy allege in a class-action complaint.
LinkedIn will lay off about 960 workers across the company’s global sales and talent acquisition organizations as it grapples with falling demand for recruitment due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Oprah Winfrey, Julia Roberts and former President George W. Bush will be among 200 star-studded participants in a 24-hour global livestream event. The Call to Unite event will kick off Friday evening to offer performances and conversations about overcoming the challenges of the coronavirus pandemic. Event organizers hope participants can help […]
NEW YORK (AP) — The LinkedIn professional networking service is getting a new CEO. Jeff Weiner will become executive chairman after 11 years as chief of the Microsoft-owned business. Ryan Roslansky, senior vice president of product, will become CEO as of June 1. Weiner said the timing felt right personally and professionally, with a ready […]
LinkedIn Editor in Chief Dan Roth envisions LinkedIn as the perfect “utility” for professionals. “LinkedIn should help you be better at what you do or what you want to do,” he says. In order to fulfill this dream, Roth has hired a team of journalists and empowered them with the tools they need to discover original stories and to distribute those stories to the right audience. Having these tools at their disposal is appealing to journalists who want to know who is reading their work.
There’s a lot that newsrooms could and should learn from what’s made platform and technology companies successful, sometimes at the direct expense of legacy news business models. Here are seven top takeaways.
LinkedIn, a Microsoft B2B social network, announced Thursday the official rollout of video for sponsored content and company pages. The offering, which gives companies the ability to promote a video and target a specific audience, builds on the release of member video, which launched in August 2017. LinkedIn also introduced the ability to load a video to a company’s page, which gets distributed to all followers.
Video is the name of the game in social networking: sites like Facebook and Twitter have been doubling down on the medium in recent years to drive more traffic and engagement from users, and also as a platform to snare in more premium advertising away from traditional television broadcasters. Now Microsoft-owned LinkedIn is hoping to muscle in on the party with its own video strategy. Today the social networking site for the working world is launching a new feature to let any user upload a video to the site, via LinkedIn’s iOS or Android mobile app.
LinkedIn will remain an independent unit of Microsoft. It will keep its name, and current CEO Jeff Weiner will stay on and report directly to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.
LinkedIn is tapping its 500 “Influencers” for permission to automatically let other sites republish their content in full. The content exchange won’t generate revenue for its producers, but they will get wider distribution for their name and work, while LinkedIn gets a marketing boost.
LinkedIn’s advertising revenue reached $153 million in the fourth quarter, a 56% increase over the same time a year earlier. Advertising, which LinkedIn calls “marketing solutions,” accounted for 24% of its total revenue compared with 22% in the fourth quarter of 2013. Full-year ad revenue in 2014 was $454.5 million, up 46% from 2013.
Media outlets can post company pages that amplify their content, while employee and fan pages can add to the web of influence and brand building, said Yumi Wilson, who coached newspaper executives at the Local Media Association Innovation Conference in Philadelphia.
With its recent acquisition of Bizo, LinkedIn is building out what some say will be one of the more powerful ad networks available, giving it the opportunity to further cement itself as the premiere platform for business-to-business marketing. LinkedIn will be able to sell B2B ads that exist on either end of the purchase funnel: highly targeted, off-site display ads for direct response purposes and in-stream, native ads for branding.
LinkedIn has seen membership grow from 32 million members in 2008 to 300 million in 2014. One part of that strategy is inviting journalists into a group called LinkedIn for Journalists, which boasts more than 55,000 members.
As LinkedIn evolves from a job networking site into a professional publishing platform, it wants to expand its ad base as well beyond the B2B category. To that end, the company is touting research indicating the site’s audience is a natural fit for auto advertisers.