OTT News Summit: The Story In Videos
If there was one headline from TVNewsCheck’s OTT News Summit last week, it’s that news streaming is showing the kind of operational agility the industry needs to adapt to the dramatic changes that 2020 has ushered in.
Session after session at the four-day event underscored that the pandemic, sweeping protests and political volatility this year have boosted audiences for streaming news and prompted pivots in newsgroups’ programming and production methods.
Videos from each of those sessions are now available, spotlighting news organizations’ creative streaming adaptations to the extraordinary working conditions and historic stories of the year.
The videos follow:
- Jean Ellen Cowgill, GM of Bloomberg’s QuickTake and global head of Bloomberg Media’s digital strategy and business development, revealed that the company is disrupting itself with the new OTT offering targeted to “the modern leader.”
- Executives from NBC LX, CBS Local Digital Media, Graham Media Group, Fox Owned Stations and Avid highlighted how their streaming channels quickly spun up new programming around the pandemic and protests under remote working conditions.
- Leaders from CNN, ABC News Live, Yahoo Finance, E.W. Scripps and Gray Television discussed how Election 2020 is presenting them with key opportunities to connect with new viewers, build their streaming news brand and expand upon linear broadcast content with content valuable to voters.
- Executives from Fox Soul, CBC and Newsy explained how news organizations can tackle the numerous challenges on the path to viewer discovery in an ecosystem of numerous devices, platforms and search functionalities.
- Leaders from Newsy, Nexstar Media Group, CBS Local Digital and Local Now assessed the state of ad technology’s performance under the weight of surging pandemic audiences.
- Executives from CNN, Gray Television, Fox Television Stations, Sinclair Broadcasting Group and Bitcentral shared their strategies for adapting to new remote working conditions and achieving the frictionless workflows using the latest technology.
- Christy Tanner, EVP and GM of CBS News Digital, laid out her view of a landscape with room for multiple news streamers amid growing audiences on OTT.
- And leaders from NBCU Owned Television Stations, Sinclair Digital Group, CBC, E.W. Scripps and Local Now framed out monetization strategies to capitalize on those growing audiences and impression-based sales.