A diversified communications company serving the community
Capitol Broadcasting Company (CBC), a diversified media and entertainment company based in Raleigh, N.C., is seeking a Director of Technology for the company’s pioneering New Media Group. The CBC New Media Group’s flagship products include WRAL.com, the most-visited local media site in North Carolina, plus affiliated media websites, mobile and OTT applications that serve more than 6 million monthly unique visitors.
The technology director leads a team of developers who build and maintain digital platforms and products that serve diverse audiences and client marketing needs. This team also helps build and support automation used by CBC’s television and radio stations.
The technology team works closely with our digital content, sales, marketing and product teams to develop and maintain market-leading products. The director will select technologies and set processes and procedures that drive innovation, collaboration and efficiency, while ensuring high performance and reliability of supported platforms. The technology team also supports external audiences, such as website and app users. This position is notresponsible for supporting Capitol Broadcasting’s internal IT systems and employees. The position reports to the general manager of CBC New Media Group.
- Lead a team of web and mobile app developers; set priorities and track progress
- Gather business requirements from internal and external stakeholders for software solutions
- Design and spec systems (software and infrastructure)
- Manage application infrastructure (primarily cloud-based)
- Develop and track operating and capital budgets
- Contribute directly to software development initiatives
- Mentor the development team
- Oversee after-hours on-call rotation
- 4-year college degree
- 10+ years in software development
- 5+ years designing software systems
- 5+ years implementing on-premise or cloud infrastructures
- Strong problem solving/troubleshooting/debugging skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to convey technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Expertise in object-oriented design
- Understanding of networking fundamentals and protocols
- Network security experience
- Proven ability to design and build scalable, secure, highly available Internet applications
- Experience with API design, implementation, and integration
- Deep knowledge of back-end web technologies: php, python, java, or node
- Solid understanding of front-end web technologies: HTML/CSS/JS
- Linux system administration experience
- Proficiency with relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, or Oracle) and NoSQL databases (DynamoDB, Redis, MongoDB)
The ideal candidate will have some of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science
- Experience with public cloud technology, specifically AWS
- Understanding of VMware vSphere administration
- Experience leading teams
- Familiarity with Hashicorp tools like Vagrant and Packer
- Knowledge of video streaming and ad-serving technologies
- Exposure to serverless application development
- Experience building voice applications, like Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant
- Familiarity with mobile app development (native and cross-platform)
- Experience with IaC tools like Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, or Chef
A pre-employment drug screening is required. EOE, M/F. All Capitol Broadcasting Company properties are tobacco free. Capitol Broadcasting Company participates in E-Verify.
Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. is a diversified communications company which owns and/or operates WRAL-TV, WRAL Digital, WRAZ-TV, WRAZ Digital, WRAL-FM, WRAL-HD2, WCMC-FM, WCMC-HD1, WDNC-AM, WCMC-HD2, WCMC-HD3, WCLY-AM, WCMC-HD4, Microspace, CBC New Media Group and Wolfpack Sports Properties (a joint venture with Learfield) in Raleigh, NC; WILM-TV, WILT-LD and Sunrise Broadcasting in Wilmington, NC; The Durham Bulls Baseball Club, Bull City Hospitality, and the American Underground startup hub in Durham, NC; Holly Springs Salamanders in Holly Springs, NC; and real estate interests including the American Tobacco Historic District in Durham, NC, and Rocky Mount Mills in Rocky Mount, NC.
To apply for this job please visit app.jobvite.com.