WSAW-TV - Gray Television
About Gray Television:
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. We own and operate leading media outlets in over 50 markets throughout the country – all delivering the news, weather, sports and entertainment that millions of our neighbors count on every day. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
WSAW is Wausau’s first TV station, debuting in 1954. It is a CBS affiliated station that serves northcentral Wisconsin. It is owned by Gray Television. Northcentral Wisconsin is a leader in agriculture, dairy, ginseng, cranberries, cheese, and potatoes. Our area has always been tied to the paper industry, supporting multiple mills in our DMA.
WZAW is Wausau’s FOX affiliate and home of “Packer Football” airing more Packer regular season games than all of the stations combined. WZAW produces local newscasts M-F 4:00pm and 9:00pm.
WSAW-TV, the Gray Television owned, CBS-affiliate in Wausau, Wisconsin, has an opening for a Chief Engineer, to serve as the manager of the Broadcast / IT Technical Operations of the station. The position includes Department Head status and the candidate will answer directly to the General Manger. The Chief Engineer interacts daily with local programming staff and will be responsible to follow all WSAW-TV and FCC standards and guidelines.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Regulatory compliance
- Accountable for the on air picture quality and performance
- Repair technical equipment to the component level
- Integration, maintenance and operation of new and existing equipment including towers, transmitters, microwave and satellite gear and tenant installations
- Manage all engineering aspects of the technical facility including studio support, post editing systems, field production support and transmission of live/taped events & programs
- Have expert knowledge regarding equipment, technology, and systems and be able to step in an assist in emergency situations
- Oversight and maintenance of all station physical assets including buildings and grounds
- Oversight of all broadcast and IT systems
- Understanding and compliance of EAS standards and practices
- Setup remote broadcasts on location
- Assist in developing and implementing capital and operating budgets
- Hire, supervise and schedule Broadcast / IT technical staff
- Perform other tasks as assigned
- A Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or related is preferred. Minimum Associates degree or equivalent industry training is accepted.
- Minimum 2-3 year experience in modern television engineering including broadcast and news automation systems, network/ IP based systems, studio and remote operations, and project design and management preferred
- Transmitter / RF experience desired
- Familiar with FCC rules and broadcast standards
- Familiar with network routing and IP addressing
- Ability to work under pressure and handle multiple tasks based on station needs
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license in good standing
- Be available “on call” 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for emergency engineering problems
- Work in cooperation with all departments to achieve technical excellence and station profitability.
Please apply online at: https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
To apply for this job please visit gray.tv.