Website Cox Media Group
Reporting to the Assignment Manager, the Assignment Editor will track, organize and communicate information relevant to all platforms while keeping a “digital first” mentality. Assignment Editors are the “go-to” people for learning and owning breaking news. Assignment Editors also dispatch and track crews.
- Attend 930am/3pm editorial meetings and contribute story ideas.
- Dispatch and track crews, including the chopper.
- Find, gather, get and/or confirm information, then disseminate that information for use on our website, mobile products, social media and on-air.
- Be a go-to person for station to win “Breaking News” – as soon as hearing or becoming aware of something, begin working it while communicating to the newsroom what is being looked into and what is confirmed.
- In extended breaking news coverage, help sustain our coverage by lining up phoners, interviews and any other elements possible.
- Constantly monitor scanner traffic and scour the web as well as social media for breaking news and/or other possible news stories. Help hunt and find more local content for our air and digital products.
- Tweet/Facebook breaking news and other content from the WFXT accounts when there is no one around from our digital team.
- Communicate with the digital team, so they can send out any worthy breaking news via push alerts, email alerts, Twitter and Facebook.
- Look for livestream opportunities and communicate them to news managers and the digital team.
- Maintain an organized system that tracks each story’s developments.
- Write and email a summary note of what to watch out for on the next shift.
- Ability to work varying shifts, including nights, overnights, and weekends
- A minimum of 1 year professional experience in local TV news is required
- Prior experience as Assignment Editor is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university in Journalism or Communications preferred
- Ability to multi task and work under pressure
- Able to handle breaking news with ease
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Must be thoroughly professional in all aspects of production
- Must be well read on current affairs and have a wide-range working knowledge and understanding of general interest subjects
To apply for this job please visit bs.serving-sys.com.