Website Cox Media Group / KIRO-TV
Build the Future of Media @ CMG
KIRO-TV in Seattle seeks a dynamic leader with solid news judgment to oversee all aspects of daily news and digital content. The News Director will be responsible for leading an experienced News team of 115+ in the execution of top quality newscasts while growing audience ratings and our digital products. This station broadcasts 5.5 hours of local news each day.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include:
- Provide strategic and tactical direction for day to day news coverage, breaking news, special projects, investigative reporting, special event coverage for all distribution channels, including creating content for OTT channels.
- Supervise Executive Producers, Producers, and Managing Editor in carrying out the organizations policies and goals.
- Work collaboratively to integrate digital platform into everything we create.
- Grow and develop a diverse staff, to include identifying, recruiting and retaining top talent from a wide variety of sources.
- Interview, hire, coach and develop employees; plan, assign, and direct work, appraise performance, reward and discipline as needed. Address complaints and resolve problems promptly.
- Interpret and execute research from multiple research sources to provide the best news product for the Seattle market.
- Prepare and execute department operating and personnel budgets.
- Collaborate with consultants and internal resources to operationalize research.
- Review previous news programs for critique of production, news content and personnel performance.
- Regularly meet with individual staff members and their supervisors to assess performance and provide feedback to improve performance and professionalism.
- As an active, engaged member of the community, seek out individuals and groups to determine their news needs and interests.
- Lead, mentor, coach individual team members and their leaders to regularly evaluate and improve performance and professionalism.
- Plan, assign, and direct work. Appraise performance; rewarding and disciplining employees timely, and addressing to resolve issues promptly.
- Seek out contacts with individuals and groups in the community to determine their news needs and interests.
Proven track record with breaking news, severe weather, investigative and enterprise reporting and the successful delivery of digital content through a wide-variety of products. This person must also have excellent leadership and solid interpersonal, people skills. Must be well-versed in recruiting, developing and retaining top talent, managing resources, creating and executing research based strategic plans and growing new opportunities in a multi-media environment. Must be able to work well with all station personnel.
EDUCATION, SKILLS and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years television newsroom leadership experience is required.
- Demonstrated successful ability to develop employees through regular feedback and performance management.
- Ability to effectively communicate the vision, mission, and strategic direction and to designate key roles/champions in the newsroom.
- Excellent comprehension around breaking news, major news, investigative and enterprise journalism.
- Experience with and solid ability to develop and manage newsroom budget.
- Ability to identify and match talents to tasks.
- Solid contract and negotiating skills.
- Ability to resolve equipment and staff assignment problems.
- Experience working directly with News Associations in providing regional, national and international network material.
- Ability and successful track record with identifying and recruiting top performers from a wide variety of sources
- Experience and successful achievement with interviewing, hiring, and training employees for both in front of and behind the camera.
Apply online: http://bit.ly/2M1wPNZ
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.