Website Cox Media Group
The Assignment Editor will be responsible for logistics, and working directly with reporters, photographers, producers, managers and the digital department to cover the news of the day, as well as to generate enterprise stories. Planning and looking ahead is a must. This person MUST possess a sense of urgency, have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and have strong news judgment.
The Assignment Editor will monitor police/fire scanners for multiple counties; field phone calls, monitor emails and scan multiple branded social media accounts for news tips from the public. They will be responsible for dispatching crews to cover content for our digital, radio and television platforms. And, will utilize their journalism training to write breaking news, weather and non-urgent content for our digital products, when needed. Must be able to see the big picture, understand the significance of editorial content vs video content and be able to produce stories from the assignment desk. Schedule may include nights, weekends and holidays.
Responsible for logistics 60%
- Field phone calls in the newsroom
- Monitor scanners, websites and other news gathering methods.
- Effectively communicate to producers, reporters, photographers and managers where news events are happening, where crews are located, and who to move to get stories covered.
- Work with the Producers to coordinate coverage using the best
- Technology in the best locations.
- Understand the significance of editorial content and research drivers.
- Keep assign file accurately updated and keep producers and web producers updated on changes.
- Update the web and social media if necessary
Planning news coverage – 40%
- Stay up to date on big stories.
- Look ahead to coverage challenges.
- Manage emails and planner.
- Communicate to producers and assignment editors on all shifts the stories that are available for coverage and logistics information.
- Communicate with affiliate stations to get stories in other areas covered.
- Education: Degree in Journalism or a related field
- Experience: Previous experience working within news is preferred. Minimum experience interning within local news is needed.
- Must be able multitask, strong organizational skills and solid news judgement.
- You should have a strong foundation of the web, and social media.
- Knowledge of the Tulsa area is a plus.
To apply for this job please visit bs.serving-sys.com.