Website KIRO-TV / Cox Media Group
Build the Future of Media @ CMG
The Director of News Technology is responsible for ensuring the superior quality of KIRO 7 News video and audio presentation through: effective management of its technical operations and equipment; maintenance of high photojournalistic and news video editing standards; and the efficient planning and management of News operating and capital budgets.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- To coordinate photojournalist, news video editing, remote broadcast, and news engineering activities and productivity.
- To be active and aggressive in maintaining high-quality product and conduct from work group members.
- To initiate and approve requests as appropriate for the purchase, replacement, or repair of equipment and services.
- To oversee staffing and supervisory duties, including hiring, discipline, scheduling, and evaluation of operations staff and work group members in accordance with KIRO policies.
- To plan and manage the News operating and capital budgets.
- To help to determine the future direction of KIRO News operations through regular and clear communications with News Director, other Department Heads, Senior staff leaders, and employees.
- To provide logistical planning and technical coordination for News programming, projects, and special events.
- To oversee the operation and regular maintenance of News equipment, including but not limited to: broadcast cameras, camcorders; video players, recorders and editing systems; audio systems and tape recorders; communications equipment, including two-way radios, cellular telephones, and scanners; news video transmission equipment, including satellite & microwave vehicles and gear; helicopter; news vehicles and other transportation equipment.
- To plan, supervise, and track operational expenditures.
- To plan and supervise purchases and installation of new and/or replacement equipment per manufacturer’s specifications.
- To coordinate and define activities of the photojournalist, news video editing, remote broadcast technicians, directing and maintenance engineering staffs.
- To be totally conversant with KIRO’s disaster recovery planning and the procedures in the KIRO Crisis Manual and to review the plans and policies on a regular basis for adequacy in relation to current operations and systems.
- To be conversant with journalistic law and follow professional ethics.
- To be conversant with general FCC policies and rules applying to equipment operated by TV News.
- To work additional hours per day or week as necessary.
- To be fully conversant with the newsroom computer system and KIRO voice and data systems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- At least 10 years of hands-on experience in news acquisition, editing, journalistic desk and on -air production functions in a newsroom of similar market size. Market diversity is highly desired.
- Broad knowledge of news ENG acquisition, editorial, assignment desk and control room technologies.
- Experience in major enterprise-level technology and engineering construction or renovation projects is desirable.
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record required.
- Able to effectively schedule a team of employees.
- Experience managing a team of 15 employees or larger.
- Knowledge of journalistic standards and ethics for news gathering.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- The candidate should have a degree in technology with a focus in electronic media. Factory training on newsroom systems is a plus.
- Recent relevant experience as a News Operations Manager at a local station in a top 20 market is strongly preferred.
To apply for this job please visit
To apply for this job please visit jobs.coxmediagroup.com.