Denali Media Holdings (KTVA-Anchorage, CBS/NBC Juneau, GCI Cable) seeks a creative and strategic marketing leader for it’s broadcast and digital media properties in Alaska. The Marketing Director will manage a team of creative professionals and work with a group of senior leaders committed to building the community’s primary local broadcast and regional digital news information and entertainment media outlet. The tools and technology are in place. The marketing strategy and execution the Director of Marketing will bring is a key component to the future success of Denali Media.
The Marketing Director will lead the development and execution of news and station promotion brand building strategies (on-air, on line, social, mobile and experiential) to grow ratings and build revenue. Inspire creative excellence and deliver consumer and advertiser campaigns for maximum reach and impact.
Essential Duties of the Marketing Director:
This is a leadership role which directs the work of several team members including managers and/or senior managers within a specialized area (i.e., engineering, information technology, business operations); has profit and loss responsibility for the department and is accountable; works with directors, senior directors and/or vice presidents of given department in developing departmental short and long-range objectives, plans, budget and policies. Sets the tone for continuing training requirements of key individuals to ensure that the team is prepared to take full advantage of advances in the technologies used by the company to improve and add new services for our customers.
- Create the strategic marketing plan for all touch points for Denali Media Holdings properties (KTVA-Anchorage, CBS Southeast, NBC Southeast, KTVA.com, associated group web properties and future television broadcast properties) and lead the way into the future pushing the boundaries of a station’s audience, revenue and brand potential by playing a key role in the integrated marketing planning and budgeting process for all products including linear, social media, digital and new business.
- Develop annual and quarterly strategic marketing plans, prioritize key marketing messages, identify ways to improve on available research metrics and translate programming concepts into integrated multi-platform marketing campaigns.
- Work closely with the leadership team to conceptualize and execute the creation of compelling branded news, entertainment and commercial campaigns and when necessary execute all visual elements personally. Based on sound strategy, campaigns must clearly and creatively reach stated goals and reinforce the value of the stations brand. Concepts must work in all media including TV, social, digital and mobile.
- Act as a collaborative architect for all touch points between the station property and its audiences. Living as the “chief brand officer”, evangelizing the brand and championing all brand related matters inside the organization.
- Develop and implement audience development strategies by applying available research insights to relevant marketing activations, including creating (where appropriate) content partnerships.
- Work with local research team members, contracted advertising agency resources and/or other vendors to garner audience insights and translate those into effective, measurable marketing strategies.
- Responsible for hiring, leading, developing and managing the performance by those reporting to this position; establishes and communicates clear performance expectations, makes recommendations for salary increases. Provide timely annual performance reviews to all direct reports, and ensure that all employees within the department receive annual performance reviews on time. Responsible for team results and recommends and /or approves promotions, demotions, transfers or disciplinary actions up to and including termination. Maintains union free workforce through effective communication and regular feedback to employees regarding their performance against expectations, and use of effective performance recognition of groups involved.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven track record of developing and producing revenue driving client campaigns.
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency within a deadline oriented fast paced environment, ability to manage multiple projects and priorities at once.
- Hands on experience in marketing content on both linear and non-linear platforms including utilizing and optimizing display marketing campaigns; search (SEO and SEM), retargeting, social media, mobile marketing, etc
- Ability to use design tools, equipment and computer programs to execute electronic design work
- Participate in editing and post-production sessions to ensure that graphic design is properly placed and executed.
- Comfortable working non-traditional hours to compete in breaking news situations.
- Manage promotional requests with the Programming and Sales Departments
- Create revenue-generating ideas and maintain an awareness of promotional opportunities in the market.
- Manage prizes and contests with station’s Digital Content Manager, winners and front desk
- Work directly with advertising agency on all marketing and advertising opportunities
- Recommend design tools for generating and executing design work
- Ability to write clear, conversational and compelling promotional copy
- Ability to product fresh promotional material daily under tight deadlines
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Ability to maintain a positive work environment in the newsroom, leading by example
- Ability to use social media outlets for story promotion and public interaction.
- Attention to detail
- Knowledge of station guidelines and code of ethics
- Must be technically astute, highly organized and consistently meet tight deadlines
- Experience with on air planning and ability to manage and maximize a station’s promotional inventory in order to drive viewership and other business goals.
- Working knowledge of on-air and digital promotion techniques and familiarity with current production and photography trends.
- Experience translating broadcast designs and concepts to interactive digital and social media campaigns.
- Detailed knowledge of camera, lighting and non-linear edits equipment, including Adobe products
- Knowledge of AP ENPS newsroom computer system highly preferred
- Knowledge of MS office and other common office tools software
- Knowledge and skills in the following items highly preferred: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, AfterEffects and Mac platform
- Proficient in non-linear editing (Final Cut Pro and Premiere Pro)
- Knowledge of television production techniques, broadcast rules, and promotion and advertising techniques
- Required to operate a station vehicle at times
- Must be able to reconcile divergent demands of multiple parties under tight timelines.
- Proven ability to collaborate within and outside assigned department and create an effective working environment for high traffic and/or potential stressful workloads.
- Excellent active listening skills with the ability to work effectively with technical and non-technical staff required.
- Self-directed and takes the initiative on issues affecting the organization.
- Facilitate a positive team experience for team members
- Neat, clean, professional appearance when in the field.
- Strong verbal communication skills, particularly in the ability to communicate with all levels of the organization and the public.
Physical Requirements: Office & Field Position: Physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. Hearing, vision, depth perception, and hand-to-eye coordination sufficient to perform job duties. Visual and auditory acuity necessary to operate equipment and identify color-coding. . Strength, stamina and coordination sufficient to perform job duties.
Working Conditions: Inside/outside work. Duties will require both inside and outside work. 80% of time will be in an office environment usually in an office or control room setting. Up to 20% of the time will involve outside work in all weather conditions in Alaska as well as remote locations, will include harsh arctic environments. Travel on small single engine aircraft may be required. Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays as needed. The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. As such, you will be required to provide emergency after hours contact numbers, to include your home and cell phone numbers if you have those services.
- Minimum of twelve (12) years’ experience in consumer advertising and promotion, to include:
- A promotion specific record of success in the television/news industry and/or brand management field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of managerial experience with proven experience building and leading strong teams.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or related field required. In addition to the experience required above, relevant experience may substitute for education on a year for year basis. Master’s Degree is highly valued.
- Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and can contribute toward education.
- Driving Requirements (if applicable):Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record.
To apply, visit our website www.gci.com/careers, job #18000412
EEO: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit www.gci.com.