WCTV, the dominant #1 CBS affiliate in Tallahassee, is searching for our next WEEKEND METEOROLOGIST / WEEKDAY MMJ. This is an opportunity to forecast weather and tell stories in a well-established newsroom, working side-by-side with award-winning journalists.
We believe in big, showcased coverage on our broadcast and digital platforms, and so should you. Every day, our journalists strive to produce memorable moments, with targeted content featuring unforgettable characters and unprecedented access. Give our live stream a watch before you apply, you’ll see what we mean. If you have what it takes, you’ll be working with industry veterans with valuable market experience.
Tallahassee is a vibrant city, and some of the most desirable beaches are just about an hour away. Here, you’ll travel up and down hilly canopy roads, lined with Live Oaks and Spanish moss. Tallahassee is a haven for cyclists, with numerous bike trails nearby.
We are recruiting a high energy, personality-driven newsroom leader who can help tell the weather story. You’re expected to know the science, but thrive on lifestyle forecasting. Familiarity with tropical weather forecasting is a plus. The right candidate will be just as comfortable forecasting solo, as s/he is working with a team when a storm hits.
This is a breaking weather market, and you’ll keep viewers safe and save lives by going live in a moment’s notice. You’ll be expected to cover storm systems from the wall and on the app; you’ll also update the aftermath of the weather story from the field.
The right candidate will have a successful track record of MMJ experience, producing compelling, people-based stories. This employee is expected to deliver on best practices, from pitches to story production. S/he will be quick on his/her feet, bring copy to life, and master social media on and off the desk.
• Forecast weather for weekend newscasts, and other weekday newscasts as assigned
• Collaborate with Producing, Reporting and Technical Staff to make weather forecasts as compelling and clean as possible.
• Update staff on emergency weather conditions in newsroom editorial meetings
• Shoot & edit daily content for newscasts and website
• Operate portable live units, and conduct live shots from the field
• Generate story ideas and building local contacts
• Perform other duties as assigned by management
• Bachelor’s Degree in Meteorology or Atmospheric Science
• Minimum of 1-2 years of Broadcast Meteorology experience
• Be qualified to apply for the AMS or NWA seal
• Experience with WSI graphics preferred
• Ability to handle long-form severe weather and tropical weather coverage
• Ability to write and post weather-related items such as forecasts, graphics, and stories to social media
• Working knowledge of ENG Field Cameras, Non-Linear Editing Software, TVU Remote Units, and Newsroom CMS software
• Stellar Driving Record
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Please apply online at: www.gray.tv/applynow
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of WCTV’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
To apply for this job please visit www.wctv.tv.