2 Arrested During Lochte’s ‘DWTS’ Debut

Two men, wearing anti-Brian Lochte T-shirts, were arrested Monday on suspicion of criminal trespassing after they rushed the stage following Lochte's performance on Dancing with the Stars.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Ryan Lochte says he feels “a little hurt” after two men were arrested for allegedly rushing the stage following his performance on “Dancing with the Stars.”

The two men, wearing anti-Lochte T-shirts, were arrested on suspicion of criminal trespassing, Los Angeles police spokesman Officer Mike Lopez said.

They had rushed the stage while Lochte was getting his scores from judge Carrie Ann Inaba for his debut performance during Monday night’s live installment of the celebrity ballroom dance competition.

“Hey, back off,” Inaba said as the altercation was occurring off screen.

When the show returned, “Dancing with the Stars” host Tom Bergeron explained they were interrupted by “a little incident” and thanked the ABC series’ security team “for staying in shape.”

The two men were detained by security until police arrived to take them into custody, Los Angeles police spokesman Mike Lopez said. He did not have the men’s names.

BRAND CONNECTIONS

No one was injured or listed as a victim in the incident, Lopez said.

The swimmer told Bergeron that “so many feelings are going through my head right now.” Lochte added that he was “a little hurt, but I came out here. I wanted to do something I’m completely not comfortable with, and I did.”

ABC did not immediately return messages seeking comment about the incident.

During the episode, the Olympic medalist performed a foxtrot routine with professional partner Cheryl Burke to “Call Me Irresponsible.” They received a combined score from the judges of 24 out of 40.

Lochte and teammates have faced criticism since they were involved in an early-morning drunken encounter during the Olympics last month at a gas station in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. They later claimed they were threatened and robbed.

United States team officials banned Lochte for 10 months, requiring him to forfeit $100,000 in bonuses and miss the 2017 world championships.


Comments (5)

Leave a Reply

Bob St Charles says:

September 13, 2016 at 6:27 am

It’s Ryan and not Brian

Gregg Palermo says:

September 13, 2016 at 8:58 am

Bergeron is the world greatest ad-libber. Not just this time, but on numerous shows in the past.

Angie McClimon says:

September 13, 2016 at 2:00 pm

On other news sites, the conspiracy theorists are in rare form. They actually think this is a set-up by the show, mainly by the looks of their shirts. For LAPD to be involved, this is serious.

Sean Smith says:

September 13, 2016 at 8:20 pm

I can see how these burr-heads could get into the studio with the anti-Lockte shirts underneath regular clothing. But the minute they took the outer clothing off before they rushed onto the floor, they should have been spotted and isolated immediately.
ABC security was incredibly lax on the job… they were waiting for the moment to make sure a camera was on them, then they pounced and wrestled the man to the floor. And why did it take Derek Hough to confront the anti-Lockte shirt wearers on the back row?… apparently, so he could grab some of the camera.
Somebody needs to be fired.

    Wagner Pereira says:

    September 14, 2016 at 1:15 am

    Shows what you know. It was not shown on Live TV, despite your accusations. ESPN cut away on MNF last night as well. Don Hewitt told me, the worst mistake he ever made at CBS was cutting away when the streaker ran across the studio live on the CBS Evening News.


More News