Matthews to Host RTDNF 1st Amendment Awards
The Radio Television Digital News Foundation (RTDNF) announced today that Chris Matthews of MSNBC will host its 2017 First Amendment Awards Dinner.
“When it comes to American politics, Chris Matthews has seen it all, and he’s done a remarkable job of explaining it all to a generation of viewers,” said Kathy Walker, RTDNF chair. “We’re delighted to have him as our master of ceremonies, as we honor champions of the First Amendment and support the work of our Foundation.”
The awards will be presented at a ceremony at the Grand Hyatt Washington on Tuesday, March 14, 2017. Details about the RTDNF First Amendment Awards and a link to purchase tickets can be found on the group’s event page.
The honorees include:
- Bill Whitaker, CBS News — Leonard Zeidenberg First Amendment Award
- Steve Jones, ABC News Radio — First Amendment Service Award
- Stanley S. Hubbard, Hubbard Broadcasting — First Amendment Leadership Award
- Mark Halperin/John Heilemann — First Amendment Award
- Nina Totenberg, NPR News — RTDNF Lifetime Achievement Award
The event, which raises funds for RTDNF’s journalism scholarship, fellowship and leadership programs, will also include special recognition of three people who passed away in 2016: NPR photographer David Gilkey who was killed in Afghanistan when his convoy came under fire; PBS anchor and managing editor Gwen Ifill; and George Glazer, who chaired the committee that launched RTDNF’s First Amendment Awards in 1990.