The syndicated talker's day after show is the highest-rated episode in its 11-year history.
Post-Oscar ‘Ellen’ Breaks Ratings Records
Monday’s live post-Oscar episode of The Ellen DeGeneres Show was the highest rated episode in the series’ 11-year history, averaging a 4.8 household rating/11 share in the overnight markets, a full ratings point higher than the series’ previous high 3.8, earned a decade ago (Jan. 26, 2004).
The episode was also the highest rated with women 18-49 (2.1/11) and women 25-54 (2.7/13) in the people meter era (which began in the 2008-09 season), according to the show.
In the show, DeGeneres featured Academy Award winner for Best Actress, Cate Blanchett; Academy Award winner for Best Actor, Jared Leto; and Lupita Nyong’o, Academy Award winner for Best Supporting Actress. DeGeneres recapped her Oscar hosting duties and revealed how the selfie came to be and how it broke Twitter. Plus, the winner of the night, pizza delivery man Edgar Martirosyan was on hand and DeGeneres gave him the $600 she had collected in tips and added another $400 (her “Oscar Pizza Guy Gets His Tip” video is currently trending No. 1 on YouTube ).
DeGeneres also set records across the daytime talk show’s social media channels following her Oscar hosting duties on Sunday, March 2, as her selfie temporarily shut down Twitter:
- The record-breaking selfie was retweeted 3.14 million times, a Twitter record previously held by @BarackObama with 782,000 retweets, according to Twitter.
- Ellen added 2.7 million new followers after the tweet, making for a total of 27.4 million Twitter followers, according to Twitter analytics.
- @TheEllenShow currently ranks the No. 12 Twitter user with the most followers, according to Twittercounter.com.
- As of Tuesday, March 4, The Ellen DeGeneres Show has more than 13 million Facebook likes, with 500,000 new likes over the past two days, according to Facebook Insights.
- On Facebook on Tuesday, March 4, The Ellen DeGeneres Show was the No. 1 fastest growing television show page, No. 1 most-engaging, No. 1 in likes and No. 10 fastest growing page overall, according to allfacebook.com.