PBS North Carolina, a public television network serving the state of North Carolina, has an opening for a Broadcast Technician.
The University of North Carolina Center for Public Media, branded on-air as PBS North Carolina, is operated by the University of North Carolina system. The network’s operations are located at the UNC Center for Public Television at Research Triangle Park between Raleigh and Durham.
U. S. News & World Report ranks Raleigh as the 2nd Best Place to Live in the country and the 22nd Best Place to Retire. Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill are known for their research/technology roots and collegiate rivalries. This tri-city region (known as the Triangle) is luring new residents every day with strong job growth and high quality of life. Many people who call the Raleigh and Durham metro areas home are young, friendly, diverse and educated. They enjoy dining out in local restaurants – many of which have earned national accolades – and gathering over craft beers in one of the region’s many microbreweries. A strong sense of community is evident, as strangers are quick to provide a friendly conversation when standing in line at the supermarket. Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill also encompass beautiful green spaces, family-friendly museums and a growing art and music scene defined by monthly gallery walks, summer concerts and music festivals.
Based in the Eastern North Carolina region, the Broadcast Technician is responsible for the overall monitoring and maintenance of the PBS NC statewide DTV broadcast translator system following federal, state, and organizational directives and regulations.
Regular activities include field strength measurements, routine and out of hours emergency site attendance for repair, preventive maintenance, equipment installations, modifications, and upgrades.
Additionally, the Broadcast Technician is involved in maintenance of the PBS NC microwave radio system; maintenance of high power television broadcast transmitters; maintenance of remote control systems; design of broadcast station transmission systems; planning, coordination and involvement in transmission projects within the organization and with outside vendors providing services to PBS NC; interaction with the public, PBS NC colleagues, and operators and occupants at shared facilities.
This position is on the rotating weekly “on-call” duty roster for transmitter operations, fielding calls from joint master control (JMCO) based out of Syracuse, NY, and responding to outages, trouble calls, etc. across North Carolina’s viewing area for PBS North Carolina.
Minimum requirements include a high school diploma or equivalency and completion of a two-year technical school program in electronics; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Required competencies include the following:
- Advanced knowledge of design, construction, maintenance, operation, and repair of broadcast television transmitter, translator and microwave radio systems.
- Familiar with ATSC 8VSB modulation and MPEG Transport Stream.
- Awareness of hazards present in an industrial high-power transmitter facility.
- Practical knowledge of test equipment, tools, calculations, technical documentation, and web-based user interface used to maintain broadcast transmission systems.
- Working knowledge of electrical power systems (generator, automatic transfer switch, electrical switchgear, UPS, battery backup, DC rectifier/charger), HVAC systems.
- High-level mechanical aptitude with experience in assembly and fabrication of heavy steel antenna mounting brackets and ice protection components for tower construction projects, fabrication of modular framing systems, planning and assembly of RF waveguide and transmission line systems, termination and erection of transmission line, coaxial and multiconductor cable.
- Capable in the use of power, hand tools, cleaning materials and tools, as appropriate, for manipulation of transmission equipment and systems, and grounds, transmission facility and work center maintenance and hygiene.
- Working knowledge of Information Technology systems and applications for communication, documentation and machine interface.
- Proficient in the operation of multimeter, spectrum analyzer, frequency counter, power meter, network analyzer, Rohde & Schwarz ETL and capacity to adjust to unfamiliar test and measurement techniques and equipment.
To learn more about PBS NC and to apply for this position, please visit: https://www.pbsnc.org/about/employment/ before November 23, 2022.
PBS NC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer that welcomes all to apply, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
To apply for this job please visit northcarolina.csod.com.