KCCI-TV, the Hearst Television station and CBS affiliate in Des Moines, is looking for an experienced Digital Media Manager, a multi-platform journalist to execute our station’s digital strategy and multimedia content initiatives for both current and future platforms.
Des Moines has been listed as the ninth best place to live according to U.S. News and World Report, which listed Des Moines as one of the top five most affordable and best cities to live in and Livability.com calls Des Moines a millennial hotspot. Elegant Colonial and Tudor-style homes built in the early 1900s hide in quiet neighborhoods minutes from buzzy downtown, where lofts and condos draw the millennial crowd. Many families with kids flock to the suburbs where new housing developments continually pop up. And there’s plenty to do and see in Des Moines. Cultural events and festivals draw all ages to the downtown area. One-of-a-kind shops, locally owned restaurants and hip bars enliven entertainment districts. And plenty of bike trails and parks (and even a few lakes) provide opportunities for outdoor recreation.
The Digital Media Manager helps craft and execute the strategy and tactics to achieve our journalistic, content and business goals.
This position reports to the News Director but will also work closely with corporate and station digital content staff, fellow newsroom managers, and promotion and sales department heads.
You will be responsible for creating and organizing unique content for all digital platforms.
You will work with our news crews, producers and assignment editors to assign, produce and promote content every day.
This person will also work with the sales department and creative services department.
The ideal candidate will have working knowledge of digital technology as well as strong writing and editorial skills.
- Managing online content and operations. This includes selecting and writing material for all of our digital platforms.
- Develops and guides execution of strategies to meet digital goals.
- Creatively develops unique content, event coverage and project ideas for web, mobile and social media.
- Brings consistent sense of urgency, immediacy and real-time strategies to digital news content and project development.
- Works to develop content during breaking news.
- Works closely with the digital editors, news crews and producers coordinating and producing content for digital platforms and television.
- Leverages Next Generation newsgathering to provide ownership of content both daily, and during big or breaking news events.
- Takes an active role in daily editorial meetings. The goal is to lay the groundwork for a consistent multi-platform workflow that ensures strong unique content.
- Participates in news manager and weekly marketing meetings.
- Works closely with News Director to refine digital workflow. Coordinates consistent training of web & news personnel to contribute to all digital platforms (field gathering and presentation); maximize best practices to involve the whole station as regular contributors.
- Staff leader in leveraging social networks like Facebook, Twitter and Google+ to provide superior coverage and marketing of news. Works closely with marketing to prioritize the growth of customers on Facebook and email, and the interaction with them.
- Key innovator of digital projects involving news, sales and creative services departments aimed at creating strong revenue-generating content and projects.
- Works daily with creative services to identify opportunities to leverage marketing tactics that support the digital strategy. Engages in regular and weekly marketing discussions with CSD to push marketing opportunities cross-platform.
- Interfaces with Executive Digital Media Managers (Editorial Operations, Product Innovation) and other HTV digital managers on small, medium and large-scale news and content projects.
- Directs staff on best practices to optimize content areas of home web and mobile platforms.
- Identifies videos with viral potential for syndication partners like YouTube, Yahoo, AOL, MSN, etc.
- Regularly communicates pertinent metrics (i.e. Google Analytics, comScore) concerning digital growth and trends to News Director, GM and necessary staff; special attention paid to hourly and daily tactics based off daily Google Analytics and Newsbeat.
- Builds or is able to dimension the build of web initiatives; working knowledge of HTML needed.
- Uses working knowledge of SEO and tactics to improve traffic generation from search.
- In-person attendance is required.
- Must have at least three years of experience as an editor for a news website.
- Must have working knowledge of digital technology
- Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
To apply for this job please visit eevd.fa.us6.oraclecloud.com.