60 Minutes+ will debut March 4 with three separate episodes, the network announced Wednesday. The announcement was part of a rollout for Paramount+, which is replacing the CBS All Access service, offering Paramount movies as well as old and new programming from CBS and the Viacom stable of networks. Above, Jonathan Blakely, is executive producer of the new show that CBS hopes CBS hopes will expose the durable brand to a younger and more diverse audience.
“Ticking Clock: Behind the Scenes at 60 Minutes,” by Ira Rosen (St. Martin’s Press) Long-time multi-award winning producer Ira Rosen has written a sometimes sad, often funny, always revealing portrait of American television’s most famous and successful news show, “60 Minutes.” Rosen certainly had reporting time for this book – he was a producer at […]
CBS’s pioneering newsmagazine is consistently one of the most-watched programs on television and its viewership is up 9% over last year, Nielsen said. That’s more than any other primetime program on ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox, and also one of only four to show a year-to-year increase.
One of the most revered producers in 60 Minutes history, Bob Anderson is calling it a career. Over his 30 years at the newsmagazine, Anderson has produced more than 180 stories, with his final one airing this past Sunday — an investigation of Saudi citizens escaping American justice.
CBS’s Lesley Stahl now has around-the-clock security after she and her family received death threats following her controversial 60 Minutes interview with President Donald Trump. Broadcast on the network Sunday, that interview gained attention in the days leading up to its airing after the president walked out and criticized Stahl publicly on Twitter, stating that the interview was “fake and biased.”
Donald Trump’s contentious interview with veteran 60 Minutes host Lesley Stahl, as well as Joe Biden’s less eventful sit-down, scored the show its largest audience since 2018. The dual Biden and Trump interviews, the latter of which the president cut short, drew a total of 16.8 million total viewers on CBS and scored a 2.4 rating among adults 18-49, per Nielsen time adjusted fast national numbers.
Lesley Stahl told President Trump up front: “You know, this is 60 Minutes. And we can’t put on things we can’t verify.” On Sunday night, the show remained true to its word. The venerable CBS newsmagazine aired significant portions of the interview it conducted with President Trump earlier this week, even though the White House broke an agreement that a tape it made of the proceedings would only be used for archival material.
Lesley Stahl’s interview with President Donald Trump will air Sunday on 60 Minutes, despite the White House’s decision to air unedited footage of it on Facebook, CBS News said Thursday.
The footage, posted by the president on Facebook ahead of its scheduled Sunday broadcast, shows Trump growing increasingly prickly as CBS anchor Lesley Stahl presses him on a host of topics, including his response to the coronavirus pandemic, his slipping support among suburban women, the lack of masks at his rallies, and the “Obamacare” replacement plan he has long promised but failed to unveil.
President Donald Trump blasted 60 Minutes and correspondent Lesley Stahl after he abruptly cut short a planned series of appearances on the show. His latest tweets suggest that he did not think the interview went well. Trump wrote on Twitter, “I am pleased to inform you that, for the sake of accuracy in reporting, I am considering posting my interview with Lesley Stahl of 60 Minutes, PRIOR TO AIRTIME! This will be done so that everybody can get a glimpse of what a FAKE and BIASED interview is all about…”
The CBS newsmagazine 60 Minutes will interview President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden for next week’s edition. Correspondent Lesley Stahl announced the interviews at the end of the newscast Sunday, promising “revealing, provocative conversations with the two major party candidates for president.”
The news magazine’s executive producer, Bill Owens, details his approach to calming the waters at 60 Minutes, guiding the show through the myriad challenges of COVID-19, launching a short-form sibling show on Quibi, and other topics.
President Trump called 60 Minutes’ interview with whistleblower Rick Bright fake news, called CBS News anchor Norah O’Donnell a third place anchor, and said the show was trying to demean the country to benefit the radical left. In a 60 Minutes interview Sunday night hosted by O’Donnell, Bright, formerly a top scientist with the Department of Health and Human Services, said the Trump Administration’s COVID-19 response had been slow, prioritized politics over science, pushed the unproven drug hydroxychloroquine, and ultimately cost lives.
The CBS program’s longest-serving correspondent, Lesley Stahl, was hospitalized but recovered, others on the staff tested positive and — like many businesses — it has operated remotely for two months. At the same time, 60 Minutes has dove into a breaking news story in ways that it seldom has before.
CBS News correspondent Lesley Stahl said Sunday she’s feeling well now, but was “really scared” after fighting pneumonia caused by the coronavirus for two weeks at home before going to the hospital for a week.
CBS’ 60 Minutes has grown by more than 2 million viewers over the season average, while America’s Funniest Home Videos has increased by more than 1.3 million viewers. Both are at the crest of an upward trend in coronavirus quarantine-driven TV viewing in a time of year usually marked by viewing declines.
The Radio Television Digital News Foundation has announced the winners of the 30th annual First Amendment Awards. They represent the role journalists play in local and national media to practice the First Amendment. A total of seven awards will be given, to ABC’s David Muir, 60 Minutes, NBC’s Bob Horner, Hearst’s Barbara Maushard, Telemundo’s Lori Montenegro, Sen. Richard Blumenthal and WFLA’s Steve Andrews.
The former 60 Minutes correspondent is suing the magazine for $25 million, claiming an article about her retracted report tarnished her career.
CBS News will create 60 In 6, a six-minute program produced in the style of its venerable magazine show 60 Minutes, for the mobile audience of Jeffrey Katzenberg’s Quibi.
Winning statuettes at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards is nothing new for the venerable CBS newsmagazine 60 Minutes. The five won by the program on Tuesday brought its total up to 159 over its long run. But it’s rare that a former boss who lost his job during last year’s wave of #MeToo accusations gets acknowledged by the winners at the lectern.
However, CBS’ 60 Minutes is the show with the most nominations for the 40th annual News & Documentary Emmy Awards, with a total of 23. HBO’s Vice News Tonight follows with 18 noms for the awards, which will be handed out Sept. 24 at Lincoln Center’s Alice Tully Hall in New York.
In his swaggering glory days as a 60 Minutes star of stars, it was sometimes said that the mere mention of Mike Wallace’s name could strike fear in the hearts of resolute men and women. Seven years after Wallace’s death at 93, his life and career as one of America’s most accomplished and celebrated journalists are being examined in the new documentary, Mike Wallace Is Here. The film, by Los Angeles-based documentarian Avi Belkin, raises chewy questions about the legendary newsman’s legacy and whether he played a role in sowing the seeds of today’s untrammeled information landscape.
Steve Kroft, the longest-tenured 60 Minutes correspondent, will retire at the end of his 30th season on the iconic newsmagazine. His last piece — about what could be the biggest money laundering scheme ever — will air Sunday on the show’s 51st season finale. Kroft, 73, will announce his plan to step down at the conclusion of the broadcast. In September 60 Minutes will air a retrospective of Kroft’s 50-year career in journalism.
The returning dramas are Bull, Hawaii Five-0, Madam Secretary, MacGyver, SEAL Team and SWAT, while the news programs are 48 Hours and 60 Minutes.
What’s left for the media empress and icon of inspiration? In a wide ranging interview, Winfrey explains her streaming strategy (including a possible interview series), who she’s eyeing for 2020 (“I’d like to see what’s up with Butta” — aka Pete Buttigieg) and the creative fire that fuels her now.
Owens has been executive editor at 60 Minutes since 2008, and has been running it on an interim basis since his predecessor Jeff Fager was fired in September for sending a threatening text message to a colleague writing a story about him.
In a draft of a report for the CBS board, investigators wrote that “the physical, administrative and cultural separation between 60 Minutes and the rest of CBS News permitted misconduct by some 60 Minutes employees.” It reveals that CBS continues to pay out a settlement to a woman who claimed that the show’s creator, the late Don Hewitt, sexually assaulted her on repeated occasions and destroyed her career. The settlement, reached in the 1990s, has been amended multiple times, including this year. In total, CBS has agreed to pay the former employee more than $5 million.
President Trump on Sunday blasted CBS’s 60 Minutes over an evening report about his administration’s “zero tolerance” policy, which resulted in the separation of thousands of children from their parents at the southern border.
48 Hours producer Susan Zirinsky has emerged as the front-runner to become the new executive producer of 60 Minutes at CBS News, sources say. Zirinsky is now the favorite to fill the shoes of veteran producer Jeff Fager, who was fired last month amid accusations of inappropriate conduct and sexual harassment, according to insiders briefed on the situation. An announcement is expected as soon as next week
President Trumphas turned down all 60 Minutes interview requests … until now. The president taped an interview withLesley Stahlon Thursday, according to sources with knowledge of the matter. The sit-down will air this Sunday. Trump’s last appearance on the program came in November 2016, days after winning the election.
The internal bake-off to succeed the 60 Minutes chief is heating up, with Bill Owens and Susan Zirinsky eyed as candidates for the executive producer role.
Susan Zirinsky, often referred to by the first letter of her last name, has been at CBS News since 1972, but it’s what she might do in 2018 and going forward that could be infinitely more interesting. Some staffers at CBS News think she is a likely internal candidate to take the top 60 Minutes job, which has been vacant since CBS ousted former executive producer Jeff Fagerlast week
In its half-century on the air, 60 Minutes has operated independently of the CBS News organization. Many at the show worry what will happen if the network takes more control.