Hearst Media Production Group (HMPG) is seeking a VP, Business Affairs to join our team.
This position will primarily focus on compliance with FCC-mandated rules for E/I (Educational/Informational) television production and distribution, in addition to business issues surrounding HMPG’s General Market entertainment, news and information programming.
Works with management to maintain HMPG brand integrity of all current series and handles day-to-day business affairs for development and production.
The VP, Business Affairs will also strategize with management and outside counsel on business issues, and draft, review and execute various short-form business documents. As such, a legal background and/or related experience is preferred.
The position reports to the EVP, General Manager (E/I) and also engages with the EVP, General Manager (Entertainment) and Chief Financial Officer and President of HMPG.
The position is based in our new, state-of-the-art Hearst facility in Charlotte, NC.
Charlotte has its own culture, culinary sophistication and unique feel that’s making it a more enticing place for people from all over the world to settle down. It’s a standalone destination area now, no longer living in the shadow of Atlanta or Charleston, South Carolina. Its climate is more manageable than Florida’s and its housing prices and living expenses are more manageable than New York City. U.S. News & World Report ranked it as the 20th best places to live in the U.S. Charlotte has become a place filled with new restaurants to try and events that attract people from all over.
- Work with management to ensure content compliance with FCC Educational/Informational rules for linear broadcast and FTC/COPPA rules for digital platforms.
- Manage a staff of five in the below categories.
- Oversee and support Standards and Practices team responsible for content review, with an emphasis on E/I standards and appropriate execution of branded content.
- Oversee team responsible for scheduling, formatting and fulfilment of deliverables for multiple weekly network TV series including titles and descriptions, music cue sheets, translations, audio description, and quarterly filings.
- Oversee team responsible for rights management efforts, including terms, rights, participations, holdbacks, territories, etc.
- Work with business development, production, post, and network partners to ensure HMPG brand integrity and industry standards.
- Review and draft short-form business documents including location, footage, and appearance releases, letters of intent, NDAs, etc.
- Engage in logistics and issues surrounding program sponsorships, schedules, content and contractual obligations.
- Work with management to cultivate relationships with network partners.
- Collaborate with internal counsel when necessary.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience working in television business affairs department, legal affairs department and/or entertainment law firm
- Familiarity with FCC, FTC, and COPPA regulations
- Skilled at maintaining positive relationships with showrunners and sales executives while enforcing standards decisions
- Ability to make judgement calls on sensitive topics, removing personal opinions from decision-making process
- Proven ability to manage a high volume of projects with competing deadlines
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical capabilities and judgement
- Familiarity with music rights, production insurance and union issues a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Media or other related field required
- Law degree preferred but not required
- Military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) with related experience will be considered
About Hearst Media Production Group
Hearst Media Production Group (HMPG), a business unit of Hearst Television, is an independent producer and distributor of original programming for TV stations, broadcast and cable networks and streaming services. HMPG produces hundreds of hours of programming annually across linear, streaming, digital and social media platforms for domestic and international distribution in nearly 100 countries. Its popular shows include “Matter of Fact with Soledad O’Brien,” America’s #1 syndicated political program; the Emmy Award-winning educational/informational (E/I) programming blocks airing weekends nationwide including “Weekend Adventure,” on ABC stations; “CBS Dream Team,” on the CBS Network; “The More You Know,” on the NBC Network; “One Magnificent Morning,” on The CW Network; “Mi Telemundo” on the Telemundo Network and “Go Time!” on independent stations. HMPG also distributes a diverse slate of other programming and content including “Law&Crime Daily,” “Prime Crime,” “Consumer Reports TV,” and the company’s dedicated FAST channels “Xplore” and “The Jack Hanna Channel,” available on some of the most popular smart TVs and streaming platforms.
To apply for this job please visit eevd.fa.us6.oraclecloud.com.