Preemptions mean many first-run shows are flat or down in the week ending July 1. A couple of talkers and games manage to post weekly gains.
Magazines were the only strips to emerge unscathed from coverage of the FIFA World Cup, which continued to preempt many syndicated shows in the session ending July 1.
Genre leaders Entertainment Tonight and Inside Edition held steady at a 2.8 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating, and both rose considerably from the comparable week one year ago.
Also resisting the downdraft, Access and TMZ both turned in solid performances on par with the previous week and tied for third place at a 1.1.
Most top talk shows found the going rough, however Dr. Phil widened its margin over the field, despite being in reruns on all five days, leading the talkers for a record 95th straight week with a steady 2.8 and growing 4% from last year.
Live with Kelly and Ryan, which was on hiatus and aired only repeats and repackaged episodes, became the second-highest-rated talk show, even though it dipped 5% to a new season-low 1.9.
Further back, Ellen DeGeneres lost 11% to a new season-low 1.7, and Maury remained at its series-low 1.2, down 20% from last year.
Meanwhile, Harry, which will not return next season, slipped 17% to a new all-time low 0.5.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.2, +9% from the week before)
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (0.8, -11%), tied with Ellen DeGeneres (0.8, unchanged)
- Maury (0.7, unchanged)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 2.8 NC
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 1.9** -5%
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 1.7** -11%
- Maury (NBCU) 1.2 NC
- Steve (NBCU) 1.1 NC
- 6. Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.0 +11%
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 0.9 NC
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 0.9 NC
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 0.9 NC
- Crime Watch Daily with Chris Hansen (WBDTD) 0.7 NC
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.7 NC
- Wendy Williams-World Cup (Debmar-Mercury) 0.6 NC
- Harry (NBCU) 0.5** -17%
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.5 +25%
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 0.9 NC
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.6 NC
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.4 NC
- Pickler & Ben(Disney-ABC) NA (being reprocessed)
- Judge Judy (CTD) 6.1** -3%
- Hot Bench(CTD) 1.8 NC
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.2** -14%
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 0.9 NC
- Divorce Court (Twentieth) 0.8 -11%
- Judge Faith (Trifecta) 0.5 NC
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 6.2 -2%
- Jeopardy (CTD) 5.7 +2%
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 5.5 -2%
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.6 +14%
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.3 NC
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.2 -8%
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 2.8 NC
- Inside Edition (CTD) 2.8 NC
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Access (NBCU) 1.1 NC
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.0** -9%
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.2 -33%
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.3 -2%
- 2. Modern Family (Twentieth) 2.0 NC
- Last Man Standing (Twentieth) 2.0 -5%
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.4** -13%
- Family Guy (Twentieth) 1.4 -7%
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.3** -13%
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.2 NC
- The Cleveland Show (Twentieth) 1.1 +10%
- King of the Hill (Twentieth) 1.0 +11%
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.4 NC
- Law & Order: SVU (NBCU) 3.0 NC
- American Ninja Warrior (NBCU) 1.9 NC
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.7 +6%
- Blue Bloods (CTD) 1.4** -13%
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.4 +17%