Magazine Shows Give — And Get — Some Respect
Reports on the life and death of legendary singer Aretha Franklin sparked the enter magazine show ratings in the otherwise lethargic summer session ending Aug. 19. Access and Entertainment Tonight were the strongest gainers, although all of the top magazines avoided declines despite diminishing PUT levels.
Access had the biggest percentage increase, jumping 10% from the previous frame to a 1.1 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating, and tying a steady TMZ for third place in the category.
ET grew 4% to a four-week high 2.7 and Extra did well to stand its ground at a 1.0, even though it did not air in numerous markets due to sports preemptions.
Inside Edition, which is not strictly an entertainment mag, remained unchanged at a 2.8.
Elsewhere in access, Family Feud fell 2% to a 6.1, but still ruled the game shows. Wheel of Fortune was flat at a 5.3; and Jeopardy slipped 4% to a new season-low 5.2.
In daytime, Dr. Phil dipped 4% to a 2.6 with five reruns, but continued to finish first in talk for the 102nd straight week.
Live with Kelly and Ryan snared sole possession of second place for a ninth consecutive week with a steady 2.0.
At the very top of the chart full-season ratings champ Judge Judy jumped 3% to a nine-week high 6.6 and was easily syndication’s No. 1 show overall.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.0, -9% from the week before)
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (0.8, -11%), tied with Maury (0.8, +14%)
- Ellen DeGeneres (0.7, unchanged), tied with Steve Wilkos (0.7, +17%)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 2.6 -4%
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.0 NC
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 1.5 NC
- Maury (NBCU) 1.3 NC
- Steve (NBCU) 1.1 NC
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 1.1 +10%
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 1.1 NC
- Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.0 NC
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 0.9 -10%
- Wendy Williams (Debmar-Mercury) 0.8 NC
- Crime Watch Daily with Chris Hansen (WBDTD) 0.8 -11%
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.7 NC
- Harry (NBCU) 0.6 +20%
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.5 -17%
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 0.9 NC
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.6 NC
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.5 NC
- Pickler & Ben(Disney-ABC) NA (being reprocessed)
- Judge Judy (CTD) 6.6 +3%
- Hot Bench(CTD) 2.1 NC
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.4 -7%
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Divorce Court (Twentieth) 0.7 -13%
- Judge Faith (Trifecta) 0.5 NC
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 6.1 -2%
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 5.3 NC
- Jeopardy (CTD) 5.2** -4%
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.6 NC
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.3 -7%
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.2 -8%
- Inside Edition (CTD) 2.8 NC
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 2.7 +4%
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Access (NBCU) 1.1 +10%
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.3 NC
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.1 +2%
- Last Man Standing (Twentieth) 2.0 -5%
- Modern Family (Twentieth) 1.8** -5%
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.5 -6%
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.4 -7%
- Family Guy (Twentieth) 1.4 NC
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.2 -8%
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Seinfeld (Sony) 1.0 NC
- How I Met Your Mother (Twentieth) 0.9 -10%
- The Cleveland Show (Twentieth) 0.9 NC
- Mom (WBDTD) 0.9 NC
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.2 -6%
- Law & Order: SVU (NBCU) 2.7 -13%
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.6 +23%
- Blue Bloods (CTD) 1.5 -6%
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.3 +8%
- American Ninja Warrior (NBCU) 1.3 -19%