Talk Shows The Talk Of Syndication
The top-tier talkers were syndication’s hottest sector in the session ending Nov. 4, which marked the first full week of the traditional November sweep survey period.
Dr. Phil rose to the occasion and came up with the right medicine to lead the chat pack, topping the talk shows for the 113th consecutive frame with a six-week high 3.0 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating, up 3% from the previous appointment.
Live with Kelly and Ryan parlayed a strong performance from its annual Halloween episode into a new season-high 2.3, which propelled the program into sole possession of second place for the sixth straight week. That was Live’s biggest rating since the week of March 19 and a 5% improvement.
Ellen DeGeneres also delivered a 5% increase, tallying a six-week high 2.1 in third place.
Also of note, top rookie Face the Truth jumped 25% to a 0.5 among women 25-54 in its eighth week on the national chart, while newcomer Caught in Providence climbed 50% to a 0.3 in the key demo.
Elsewhere in daytime, syndication’s most-watched show, Judge Judy, attracted more than 10.2 million daily viewers and mowed down everything in sight for the 14th week in a row with a second-straight 7.3, which was 6% ahead of last year.
In access, Family Feud outplayed the game shows with a 5% advance to a new season-high 6.4.
Among magazines, TMZ and Page Six TV were the only two shows moving up, with the former recovering 20% to a 1.2, tying the steady Access and Page Six TV surging 17% to match its season-high 0.7 with a 33% leap in the coveted women 25-54 demo.
Entertainment Tonight and Inside Edition led the category despite giving back 6% and 3%, respectively, to a 2.9.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.3, unchanged from the week before)
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (1.0, +11%), tied with Ellen DeGeneres (1.0, +11%)
- Maury (0.9, unchanged)
- Wendy Williams (0.8, unchanged)
- Steve Wilkos (0.7, unchanged)
- Steve (0.6, unchanged)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 3.0 +3%
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.3* +5%
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 2.1 +5%
- Maury (NBCU) 1.4 NC
- Steve (NBCU) 1.3 NC
- Wendy Williams (Debmar-Mercury) 1.3 NC
- Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.1 NC
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 1.1 NC
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 1.1 +10%
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.7 NC
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.6 +20%
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 0.4 NC
- Pickler & Ben (Disney-ABC) 0.4 NC
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Face the Truth (CTD) 0.8 NC
- Caught in Providence (20th Television) 0.6 NC
- Judge Judy (CTD) 7.3 NC
- Hot Bench(CTD) 2.3 NC
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.5* +7%
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Divorce Court (20th Television) 0.8 +14%
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 6.4* +5%
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 6.1* +3%
- Jeopardy (CTD) 6.1 NC
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.6 +7%
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.5 NC
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.2 NC
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.4 NC
- Live PD: Police Patrol (Sony) 1.0 -9%
- True Crime Files (20th Television) 0.3 NC
SCRIPTED OFF-NET POLICE PROCEDURAL
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 0.9 -10%
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 2.9 -6%
- Inside Edition (CTD) 2.9 -3%
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.2 +20%
- Access (NBCU) 1.2 NC
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 1.0 NC
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.7 +17%
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.2 NC
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.7* +18%
- Modern Family (20th Television) 2.1 +5%
- Last Man Standing (20th Television) 2.1 NC
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.6* +7%
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.4 +8%
- Family Guy (20th Television) 1.2 -8%
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Black-ish (Disney-ABC) 1.1 NC
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.0 +11%
- Seinfeld (Sony) 0.9 NC
- Mom (WBDTD) 0.9 NC
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.5 -8%
- NCIS: New Orleans (CTD) 1.4 +8%
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.4 +17%
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 1.2* +9%
- Madam Secretary (CTD) 1.1 +22%
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.0 -9%