Website Cox Media Group / KIRO
KIRO-TV in Seattle seeks a dynamic leader with solid news judgment to oversee all aspects of daily news and digital content. The News Director will be responsible for leading an experienced News team of 115+ in the execution of top quality newscasts while growing audience ratings and our digital products. This station broadcasts 5.5 hours of local news each day.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include:
- Provide strategic and tactical direction for day to day news coverage, breaking news, special projects, investigative reporting, special event coverage for all distribution channels, including creating content for OTT channels.
- Supervise Executive Producers, Producers, and Managing Editor in carrying out the organizations policies and goals.
- Work collaboratively to integrate digital platform into everything we create.
- Grow and develop a diverse staff, to include identifying, recruiting and retaining top talent from a wide variety of sources.
- Interview, hire, coach and develop employees; plan, assign, and direct work, appraise performance, reward and discipline as needed. Address complaints and resolve problems promptly.
- Interpret and execute research from multiple research sources to provide the best news product for the Seattle market.
- Prepare and execute department operating and personnel budgets.
- Collaborate with consultants and internal resources to operationalize research.
- Review previous news programs for critique of production, news content and personnel performance.
- Regularly meet with individual staff members and their supervisors to assess performance and provide feedback to improve performance and professionalism.
- As an active, engaged member of the community, seek out individuals and groups to determine their news needs and interests.
- Lead, mentor, coach individual team members and their leaders to regularly evaluate and improve performance and professionalism.
- Plan, assign, and direct work. Appraise performance; rewarding and disciplining employees timely, and addressing to resolve issues promptly.
- Seek out contacts with individuals and groups in the community to determine their news needs and interests.
- Proven track record with breaking news, severe weather, investigative and enterprise reporting and the successful delivery of digital content through a wide-variety of products.
- This person must also have excellent leadership and solid interpersonal, people skills.
- Must be well-versed in recruiting, developing and retaining top talent, managing resources, creating and executing research based strategic plans and growing new opportunities in a multi-media environment.
- Must be able to work well with all station personnel.
EDUCATION, SKILLS and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years television newsroom leadership experience in a top 30 market is required.
- Demonstrated successful ability to develop employees through regular feedback and performance management.
- Ability to effectively communicate the vision, mission, and strategic direction and to designate key roles/champions in the newsroom.
- Excellent comprehension around breaking news, major news, investigative and enterprise journalism.
- Experience with and solid ability to develop and manage newsroom budget.
- Ability to identify and match talents to tasks.
- Solid contract and negotiating skills.
- Ability to resolve equipment and staff assignment problems.
- Experience working directly with News Associations in providing regional, national and international network material.
- Ability and successful track record with identifying and recruiting top performers from a wide variety of sources
- Experience and successful achievement with interviewing, hiring, and training employees for both in front of and behind the camera.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.