Court Shows Among Syndie Standouts
Court shows were clearly the most robust performers in the session ending Oct. 14, with three of the top four gavelers getting positive verdicts from Nielsen in an otherwise sluggish week.
Category leader Judge Judy was the most watched of the group by far, averaging more than 9.6 million daily viewers with a stellar 6.8 live-plus-same-day national Nielsen rating. That was up 1% for the week and 3% ahead of last year, easily topping all shows in syndication for an 11th straight week.
Following Judy, Hot Bench was on fire, spiking 5% to a new season-high 2.3, its strongest showing in five months and ranking as syndication’s No.3 daytime strip behind only Judy and Dr. Phil.
People’s Court continued to hold its own at a 1.4, and Judge Mathis moved up 11% to a 1.0.
In access, Family Feud broke out of a three-way tie, gaining 5% to a new season-high 6.2 and taking game show honors over challengers Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy, both of which were unchanged at a 5.9.
In daytime, Dr. Phil finished first among the talkers for the 110th week in a row with a steady 2.8. Live with Kelly and Ryan again won the battle for second over Ellen DeGeneres, despite dipping 5% to a 2.1. Ellen remained at a 2.0 in third.
Elsewhere, the Dateline strip widened its lead significantly over the off-net and off-cable true crime field, shooting up 17% to a new season-high 1.4. Live PD: Police Patrol and True Crime Files stayed at 0.9 and 0.3, respectively.
Elsewhere, rookie scripted police procedural Chicago P.D. jumped 25% to a new season-high 0.5 among women 25-54.
Back in first run, Face the Truth continued to flourish as the season’s No. 1 new strip with a steady 0.7.
Among magazines, Inside Edition gained 3% to the No. 1 spot with a 3.0. No. 2 Entertainment Tonight posted the largest increase in the category, rising 4% to a 2.9, which matched its season high.
Meanwhile in the metered cities, after heavy promotion in top market New York, Page Six TV saw its key women 25-54 demo surge 60% in three days to a Wednesday record high 0.8 rating/3 share on Oct. 17.
The week’s top-rated daytime talk shows in the women 25-54 demo were:
- Dr. Phil (1.3, +8% from the week before)
- Ellen DeGeneres (0.9, unchanged), tied with Live with Kelly and Ryan (0.9, unchanged) and Maury (0.9, +13%)
- Wendy Williams (0.8, unchanged)
- Steve Wilkos (0.7, unchanged)
- Steve (0.6, unchanged)
In the household rating rankings that follow, % change is from the previous week; * indicates a new season-high rating; ** indicates a new season low; NC indicates no change from the previous week; NA mean not applicable.
- Dr. Phil (CTD) 2.8 NC
- Live with Kelly and Ryan (Disney-ABC) 2.1 -5%
- Ellen DeGeneres (WBDTD) 2.0 NC
- Maury (NBCU) 1.4 +8%
- Steve (NBCU) 1.3 NC
- Wendy Williams (Debmar-Mercury) 1.3 +8%
- Rachael Ray (CTD) 1.1 NC
- Steve Wilkos (NBCU) 1.1 NC
- Dr. Oz (Sony) 1.1* +10%
- The Real (WBDTD) 0.7 +17%
- The Doctors (CTD) 0.5 NC
- Jerry Springer (NBCU) 0.4 NC
- Pickler & Ben (Disney-ABC) 0.4 NC
FIRST-RUN ROOKIE SHOWS
- Face the Truth (CTD) 0.7 NC
- Caught in Providence (20th Television) 0.5 NC
- Judge Judy (CTD) 6.8 +1%
- Hot Bench(CTD) 2.3* +5%
- People’s Court (WBDTD) 1.4 NC
- Judge Mathis (WBDTD) 1.0 +11%
- Divorce Court (20th Television) 0.7 NC
- Family Feud (Debmar-Mercury/FMNA) 6.2* +5%
- Wheel of Fortune (CTD) 5.9 NC
- Jeopardy (CTD) 5.9 NC
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Disney-ABC) 1.6 NC
- Funny You Should Ask(Entertainment Studios) 0.5 NC
- Right This Minute (Disney-ABC) 1.2 NC
OFF-NET TRUE CRIME
- Dateline M-F (NBCU) 1.4* +17%
- Live PD: Police Patrol (Sony) 0.9 NC
- True Crime Files (20th Television) 0.3 NC
SCRIPTED OFF-NET POLICE PROCEDURAL
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 0.8 NC
- Inside Edition (CTD) 3.0 +3%
- Entertainment Tonight (CTD) 2.9 +4%
- TMZ (WBDTD) 1.2 -8%
- Access (NBCU) 1.2 -8%
- Extra (WBDTD) 1.0 -9%
- Daily Mail TV (CTD) 1.0 NC
- Page Six TV(20th Television) 0.7 NC
- Celebrity Page (Trifecta) 0.2 NC
- Big Bang Theory (WBDTD) 4.2 +2%
- Last Man Standing (20th Television) 2.1 +5%
- Modern Family (20th Television) 1.9 NC
- The Goldbergs(Sony) 1.5* +7%
- Two and a Half Men (WBDTD) 1.4 +8%
- Family Guy (20th Television) 1.2 -8%
- Mike and Molly (WBDTD) 1.1 NC
- Black-ish (Disney-ABC) 1.1* +10%
- Two Broke Girls (WBDTD) 1.0 NC
- Seinfeld (Sony) 0.9 NC
OFF-NET WEEKLY HOURS
- Dateline Weekly (NBCU) 3.1 -3%
- NCIS: New Orleans (CTD) 1.4 NC
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBCU) 1.3 -7%
- Castle (Disney-ABC) 1.2 +20%
- American Ninja Warrior (NBCU) 1.0 +100%
- Chicago P.D. (NBCU) 1.0 +11%
- Madam Secretary (CTD) 1.0 +11%