Dick Ebersol, chairman of NBC Universal Sports & Olympics, was honored as the 2009 Sports Executive of the Year by the SportsBusiness Journal and SportsBusiness Daily. The award was presented at a special ceremony held Thursday, May 28, in New York. Ebersol was recognized as part of the Sports Business Awards program, which recognizes excellence […]
Dick Ebersol, chairman of NBC Universal Sports & Olympics, was honored as the 2009 Sports Executive of the Year by the SportsBusiness Journal and SportsBusiness Daily. The award was presented at a special ceremony held Thursday, May 28, in New York.
Ebersol was recognized as part of the Sports Business Awards program, which recognizes excellence and outstanding achievement in the sports industry for 2008.
Ebersol was chosen from four nominees for Sports Executive of the Year including, in alphabetical order, George Bodenheimer, president, ESPN/ABC Sports; David Stern, commissioner, National Basketball Association; and Rocky Wirtz, chairman, Chicago Blackhawks.
SPJ/SBD said in honoring him: “America’s storyteller, Ebersol created a magical two weeks at the Beijing Olympics with a flawless presentation, resulting in the most watched event in U.S. history. In preparation for the 2009 Super Bowl, Ebersol developed a smart and successful sales strategy. With spectacular memories from the U.S. Open, Wimbledon, Amp Energy NHL Winter Classic and the Super Bowl, Ebersol gave us a year to remember.”
Awards were presented in 16 categories. “With the success of the inaugural Sports Business Awards last year, we decided to expand our program and recognize even more excellence in sports business,” says Richard Weiss, publisher of the SportsBusiness Journal. “The winners and nominees being honored tonight represent those at the forefront of the sports industry.”
The winners, which were chosen from 67 nominees:
- Lifetime Achievement — Peter Ueberroth
- Sports Executive of the Year — Dick Ebersol, Chairman, NBC Universal Sports & Olympics
- Athletic Director of the Year — Joe Castiglione, University of Oklahoma
- Professional Sports Team of the Year — Boston Celtics
- Professional Sports League of the Year — National Basketball Association
- Sports Event of the Year — Amp Energy NHL Winter Classic
- Best in Sports Media — ESPN
- Best in Sports Television — NBC Sports
- Best in Digital Sports Media — ESPN Digital Media
- Best in Talent Representation and Management — CAA Sports
- Best in Corporate Consulting, Marketing and Client Services — IMG
- Best in Property Consulting, Sales and Client Services — IMG
- Sports Event Marketing Firm of the Year — GMR Marketing
- Sports Sponsor of the Year — Coca-Cola
- Sports Facility of the Year — Lucas Oil Stadium
- Best in Sports Technology — MLB Advanced Media for MLB at Bat