Website WAAY - TV
WAAY 31, Allen Media’s ABC affiliate licensed in Huntsville, Alabama, serving North Alabama in the fast-growing, high-tech Huntsville-Florence-Decatur market, is seeking an exceptional, technically-minded, team leader for the position of Chief Engineer.
Surrounded by rolling mountains, lakes and rivers, Huntsville is home to NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, Redstone Arsenal, Space Camp, US Army’s Aviation and Missile command and the second largest research park in the country.
The desired candidate will lead a team of talented individuals, insuring the WAAY facility is operationally sound, enabling the station to deliver the highest quality product to the viewers and advertisers we serve.
In addition, the Chief Engineer will have the rare opportunity to provide technical guidance and support through the station’s impending facility relocation.
Required Responsibilities and Expectations:
• Oversee all engineering functions of the station including: management and maintenance of complex television integrated systems with minimal or no supervision, planning of future equipment installations, requirements, and budgetary recommendations.
• Strong working knowledge of networks, routers, MS operating systems and application software.
• Provide solid troubleshooting solutions, both independently and as a part of a diverse team, in time-sensitive and at times high-pressure situations.
• Possess thorough knowledge of FCC rules and regulations related to television broadcasting compliance.
• Experience with ENPS AP News Systems, Edius editing, and Bitcentral workflow is desired.
• Ability to develop, update and follow standard operating procedures a must.
• Broadcast TV, RF engineering knowledge to maintain and repair all technical equipment both studio and transmitter, satellite downlink and microwave transmission systems.
• Ability to design new engineering projects in conjunction with Corporate Engineering.
• Have a successful history of project management and leadership, empowering staff to carry-out projects while supporting the positive culture of WAAY.
• Practical working knowledge of plumbing, HVAC and basic construction codes and techniques.
• Contribute to the development, preparation and implementation of operating and capital expense budget and special projects.
• Effectively present information and respond to general manager, corporate management, clients, viewers and general public in timely manner.
Preferred Minimum Requirements:
· Degree in Engineering/Technical related field or equivalent combination of experience/education to ensure comparable skillset is preferred. 5+ years experience in a broadcast management role.
· FCC license or SBE certification desired.
· Strong maintenance, organizational, computer, interpersonal and communications skills.
· Must be physically able to bend, lift and carry up to 70 pounds, climb ladders or transport other equipment as needed.
· Have understanding that this role may require non-traditional shifts, weekends/holidays, be willing to be on call and/or work additional hours as needed.
· Must have a solid working knowledge of PC’s, networks, routers, MS & MAC operating systems and application software such as Word and Excel.
· Possess a valid Alabama drivers’ license or ability to obtain; good driving record, and satisfactorily pass pre-employment drug screening.
Send resume to [email protected] or
1000 Monte Sano Blvd
Huntsville, AL 35801
WAAY – TV is an equal opportunity employer with a tradition of encouraging a wide diversity of talents through a broad range of hiring practices. WAAY believes that local television is rewarding and fun in a market that is rocket science! Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and 401K plans! A background check and pre-employment drug screen are required.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org